1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

E-PL2 custom button assignment + video mode issue

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by billy_pilgrim, Jul 19, 2011.

1. billy_pilgrim

billy_pilgrim Mu-43 Regular

Jul 6, 2011
    I've had my E-PL2 for a few weeks now and I've been gradually refining how I use it and the custom settings I am using. A few days ago I shot at an air show and hit me significantly for the first time the limitations of the autofocus system. It couldn't lock fast enough on distant planes in flight, so I had to use MF and preset focus to infinity. Thus I've realized the usefulness of manual focus even with native lenses and adjusted my settings accordingly. Here' what I've recently decided on for the custom buttons:

Fn button: Switch to MF
    Video: AEL/AFL

And then for the focus mode settings I have it set so that in MF mode, holding the AEL/AFL button locks focus. Thus you can (with AF lenses) use MF mode with the AF system, but with more control as focusing is separate from the shutter press. This makes this mode similar to "back button focusing" available on some DSLRs. Also it is easy to switch between this and the standard SAF setting with a single button.

Ok, great. But now I have a problem. Setting the buttons this way I of course had to give up the dedicated video button. I don't care too much as I shoot videos rarely and don't mind having to switch the mode dial. But using the shutter button to start recording somehow seems much slower than the video button, even in video mode! And giving the button a quick tap does not start the video. You have to hold it for a second and let it lock focus and then start recording. Does anyone know why this is? It's a bit annoying, and I lost what would have been a good take of me playing guitar because I assumed it was recording when it wasn't. I also think it would be nice if maybe the self-timer light could came on when recording so you would know for sure.

So I'd appreciate it if anyone knows a fix to that issue without having to give up my button settings. I'd also be interested in hearing any other useful configurations people have come up with.