1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

e-pl2 blacks out when taking picture

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by peaceridge, Jan 20, 2012.

1. peaceridge

peaceridge Mu-43 Regular

Jun 2, 2011
    I know I've read about this on the forum somewhere, but can't find it. When I take a picture, every thing turns black for several seconds. It is driving me crazy to the point that I might get rid of it, even though it takes great pictures. Anyone know what to do about this - a setting maybe, or is that just the way the m43 does things? (I got rid of a Nikon d90 for the m43 set up - not that I expect the m43 to take the kind of pics my Nikon does, but then the weight of the m43 really makes up for it.)

If it is just the e-pl2 that does this, does the e-pm1 also do it (I've been thinking of getting it for the smaller form factor).

Thanks for any help.

Lyn

2. taz98spin

taz98spin Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 13, 2011
    NYC

Hopefully somebody who has experienced this problem can help you...

But for me, I've never had that issue :confused:

I'm actually checking settings to see if I can do something to 'black out' the camera as I type..

3. denniscloutier

denniscloutier Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 24, 2011
    VF2 Blackout

I have noticed this when using the VF2 and burst mode. When I press the shutter button the viewfinder goes black until I release it. This is pretty annoying when you're trying to track action.

4. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    I don't have my e-pl2 to see what is going on specifically here.

Keep in mind that there is alwasy going to be a small blackout period. The camera has to read the sensor before live view can be started again.

5. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Perhaps you have a slow/corrupted SD card? Try using a different one, or reformatting it (reformat in-camera)

6. woof

woof Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 18, 2011
    The present.
    I'll bet what the OP is describing is that the image review setting is set to off. So instead of throwing the image up on the LCD, it simply blacks out whilst writing the card.

A slow card exacerbates this, but this is indeed how it works. I actually have certain "My Set" settings that do this on purpose. For example, I don't want the LCD showing the picture in some cases... I refer to this as Ballet mode because I first set it this way to take pictures of the Nutcracker. People get pretty pissed when your camera is throwing up pictures and distracting light in a dark theater. So you turn it off...

On my E-PL3 it is under "Wrench" (Setup Menu) => "Rec View"

My guess is that this is set to "Off." Set it to Auto or the number of seconds that you want to display the output.

This will not change the behavior that basically when trying to track action you will not be able to see the action between shots in a very effective manner, but it will solve the issue of going black and showing you nothing. Just remember this setting because the "Off" setting definitely has its place.

woof!

• Like Like x 1
  7. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Take EPL2 to the nearest emergency department in a hospital and get it cheked . :rofl:

8. peaceridge

peaceridge Mu-43 Regular

Jun 2, 2011
    That did it!! Actually it was set to 5 sec - not sure why:eek:
    So very much appreciate the help!

Lyn

9. woof

woof Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 18, 2011
    The present.
    Lyn, you are entirely welcome. Just the other day I needed to find that option and it drove me nuts. Of course it was in the last place I looked... :cool:

Kind regards,

Seaain