1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

E-PL2 Art Mode Lag Question

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Obsidian, Jun 3, 2011.

1. Obsidian

Obsidian New to Mu-43

Jun 3, 2011
    Hi,

I tried searching but apparently "art mode lag" is too short a term. I just got an E-PL2 and so far am not loving it. Everyone loves it but I'm having major issues coming from Nikon DSLRs. Among the many things I'm having trouble with is Art Mode. When I have the camera set to Art and using diorama or pin hole, there is significant LCD lag. All the other modes have some lag but not as bad. I can pan left to right and it will take 3s to catch up. Is this normal? It's not written in the manual and a google search brings up nothing.

Thanks!

2. BAKatz

BAKatz Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 9, 2010
    Riverdale, NY
    i use an epl-1 and yes, lag is normal.....it's a processing thing

3. ssgreenley

ssgreenley Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
    It happens to me too, on the plus side though, everything looks good through that dramatic filter...

4. wyip

wyip Mu-43 Regular

Nov 17, 2010
    San Francisco, CA
    There is a setting in the custom menu where you can reduce the effect of the art mode filter so that the lag is reduced. Go to the Menu -> Custom (Gears icon) -> Custom D (Disp/Sound/PC) -> Art LV Mode -> Set to mode2.

5. studio2403

studio2403 Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 5, 2011
    Singapore
    I just got an E-PL2 too and noticed the tremendous lag, but I have set my Art LV Mode to Mode 2 and it's quite ok now.

Somehow the big realization for me was that even though the lag is considered quite bad, it is still faster than shooting the same scene with my Canon 60D, take out the SD card, plug into mac, start photoshop, open file, and edit the photo until i get the same "art effect" as the E-PL2.

So let's say if the E-PL2 gives me the art effected photo for under 3 seconds, my Canon 60D takes 5 minutes including photoshop time.

E-PL2 wins 60D in this respect. :)

6. Other alternative is: shoot raw, add art filter later.

7. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    +1

8. Obsidian

Obsidian New to Mu-43

Jun 3, 2011
    thanks for all the replies. glad to see I don't have a defective e-pl2