1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

E-PL2 and Lightroom

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by jcdoss, Apr 2, 2011.

1. jcdoss

jcdoss Mu-43 Regular

Mar 10, 2011
    Little Rock, Arkansas
    OK, I'm getting frustrated, so I better ask for help.

I've been shooting RAW/JPG since I got my EPL2 and when I import into LR, I only seem to get one RAW file. How can I recover the original JPG?

Also, ISO bracketing seems like fun, except when I import images, they all end up looking exactly the same. I do three photos, at 1 stop apart in situations where the highlights seem harsh. I end up with three photos that look identical with identical histograms, but the EXIF says they were shot at different ISOs.

I imagine there's a checkbox somewhere I'm missing, but if you can help me, my sanity may be spared (until I encounter another obstacle, at least)!

2. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    Easy. Once you know how....

In the *preferences>general* tab you have the option to treat raws and jpegs separately.

For the other one there are a couple of things you can do. One is to use the * presets> zeroed* preset on import, but that will also zero everything else, like noise reduction, sharpening, tone curves etc. And you really will be starting from scratch. The other way is just to create a preset where you zero everything in the exposure section of the develop module. The apply this on import.

Gordon

3. jcdoss

jcdoss Mu-43 Regular

Mar 10, 2011
    Little Rock, Arkansas
    That helped, Flash, thanks.

The ISO bracketing deal is still messed up with RAW files at least. Or I guess they're ORF files. Anyway, the same thing is happening even if I apply the "zeroed" preset (which reduces the image to a grey mess, compared to their corresponding jpgs, I must say).

All the ORFs I shoot in an ISO bracketing series look exactly the same, with the same histograms, despite reading different ISOs in the EXIF. What's going on here?

4. Howi

Howi Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 23, 2011
    Sheffield
    Howard
    Why would you want to bracket ISO???
    Unless your shooting full manual, why would you want to bracket ISO?

5. jcdoss

jcdoss Mu-43 Regular

Mar 10, 2011
    Little Rock, Arkansas
    Because I like shooting in M, but since the EPL2 doesn't let me compensate for EV, I bracket ISO. Can you answer my question?

6. number17

number17 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 19, 2011
    Keep in mind there might not be easily noticeable difference between say, ISO 200, 400 and 800. The camera does a pretty good job hiding ISO noise.

ISO bracketting does work for me. The only thing is I do JPEG+RAW, so if I add ISO bracketing on top it takes a LONG time to write between shots ... not to mention the memory it takes. I stopped doing it because of that.

7. jcdoss

jcdoss Mu-43 Regular

Mar 10, 2011
    Little Rock, Arkansas
    There's a difference in the jpgs generated by iso bracketing in both the image and histogram, but not in the raw files. Am I the only one seeing this, because so far you guys don't seem to corroborate my observations.

[Edit] Upon further review, it appears that at least as viewed through Lightroom, ISO bracketing shot in RAW+JPG results in six files. The three JPGS are essentially as you'd expect... +0, -1, and +2 with images matching histograms. The RAW files, however, all look most similar to the -1 shot in the series. When the images first are imported, they look like they should (0, -1, +1), but LR regenerated jpgs all look the same (-1, -1, -1).

So it appears the base RAW file in an ISO bracket shot is exposed at the lowest ISO, then the JPGs are ramped up instead of actually shooting the images with different ISO values. I guess it makes sense, since all of the images are produced from a single exposure.