1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

E-PL2 A-mode

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by mach330, Aug 1, 2011.

1. mach330

mach330 Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 19, 2011
    The OC
    I used M mode a lot on my legacy glass like with my contax 45. But I got kind'a lazy lately so I just started using A-mode. I noticed that my exposure would be so drastically different from shot to shot. I was shooting my baby in one setting and sometimes it's very bright, other times it's too dark. Any tips?

I'm guessing it's how my light measurement is. What are you guys using? I think I'm using the center as reference (I forget the real name..it's the one with the big block in the middle). I"m also guessing that I should start using AEL feature? So go to M mode then use AEL instead of using A-mode?

Lastly...
    - If my metering is wrong (basically wrong exposure), I can only fix it if it's raw file? I was trying to brighten up some of my jpg using the brightness tool (olympus viewer software) and it didn't really do much. I got lazy as well and went back to jpg instead of raw

2. With adapted lenses on my E-P1 I always use 'P' mode and Center Weighted Averaging Metering. If you are using one of the spot metering modes the exposure will vary wildly depending on where you point the camera if there are a large range of exposures in the scene.

3. mach330

mach330 Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 19, 2011
    The OC
    I thought could only use a or m mode for adaptive? I'm pretty sure I have the weighted avg metering.

4. To the best of my knowledge, you can use any mode on an Olympus camera, and any mode except iA on a Panasonic. iA appears to require communication with the lens to work.

'M' is obviously fully manual
    'S' mode is effectively fully manual since you set the shutter speed manually on the camera and the aperture manually on the lens.
    All other modes the camera will expose automatically based on the aperture set on the lens and using the parameters of whichever metering mode that you selected.

5. loglew42

loglew42 Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 9, 2011
    I use A mode all the time with my E-PL-2 and adapted lenses. In fact, I have never tried P. A mode works great.
    LL

6. Just to explain why I prefer using 'P' rather than 'A' with adapted lenses:

Your two critical variables in photography are aperture and exposure/exp. comp. With native or 4/3 lenses in 'A' mode, my main control wheel is set to adjust the aperture, as you would expect. In 'P' mode, where the choice of aperture is out of my control, I have set my next most important user-controlled funtion - exp. comp - to the main control wheel.

When I attach an all-manual lens the aperture control is now located on the lens of course, but in 'P' mode I still have my main control wheel there to adjust exp. comp. In 'A' mode, unless I re-assign the main wheel function specifically for manual lenses, it becomes a control with no function.

• Like Like x 1
  7. billy_pilgrim

billy_pilgrim Mu-43 Regular

Jul 6, 2011
    You just convinced me to use the same setup. Thanks!

8. mach330

mach330 Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 19, 2011
    The OC
    Good points. I'm going to start using p mode fir a but so I can see the exp. Thx