E-PL1s announced

Rider

Mu-43 Regular
the epl-1 will get a simple firmware

I would be much, much, MUCH more interested in a firmware upgrade that fixed other quirky behaviors in the camera.

Btw, this seems to be a Japan only version of the camera/lens, right?

shoturtle

According to the press release it should be, as the new battery is compliant to the new lithium battery regs.

also, wondering as someone said the batteries are interchangeable, will the new batteries work in old EPL1, or will the interchangeability only work one way??

shoturtle

Well I am sure the lens will makes it's way to the US and Europe and the rest of Asia. The body might also make it way eventually.

I would be much, much, MUCH more interested in a firmware upgrade that fixed other quirky behaviors in the camera.

Btw, this seems to be a Japan only version of the camera/lens, right?

Djarum

Super Moderator
Real Name
Jason
This may not be the place for this, but I want to get this off my chest.

I was not one of the earliest of adopters of this system, but I did get my PEN back in November of 09. I feel like Olympus as their customer, is leaving me behind.

When it comes to the newer bodies, I have never felt that I should have waited to buy into this system. There have been marginal differences between the newer bodies and my E-P1, even after over a year of the initial release. I understand as a an Embedded Engineer how fast silicon improves and how fast the technology changes.

I do however get irritated and frustrated when it was obvious that a collapasable lens design with improved AF comes out only a year after the initial lens. There is no reason why a faster/better collapsable lens design wasn't available a year ago.While IC's may get faster and faster and change, optical design and software algorithms don't change that fast. My guess is what this boils down to is that the newer design was triggered by the market changes and the gain recovery costs of the design of the original lens.

There is the general attitude in the electronics or even photographic community that early adopters will get shafted because thats just how things work. I know with the business I am in, which is highly technical, that if we provided to the market 6 months or a year later new technology that early adopters took a risk in without providing software and hardware upgrades for free, my company would be out of business. No one would buy from us again because we did not provide a certail level of service to the original risk takers.

In saying that, I really do understand from an electronics point of view that I was taking a risk. This is something I deal with in my work with processors and ICs. When I purchased a Plasma TV 5 years ago, I knew that there would be something greater a year later.

I sure didn't expect however that Olympus would provide a little over a year later the lens it should have had in the first place. I don't have the kind of expendable income to purchase every lens that Olympus or any company finally makes right.

I was personally ready to pull the tigger on the 17mm. Now I have second thoughts. Will they come out with a 17mm with the new focusing system? Maybe, Maybe not. But why should I take the risk with my money to do so?

starlabs

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Look at it this way, at least they didn't pull a Panasonic by making a CHEAPER kit lens (i.e. 14-45 -> 14-42). Sure it would have been great if they had come out with this lens in the first place. But like you said, electronics moves fast. Just ask Steve Jobs and the iPhone(s). :wink: I'm happy that Olympus is coming out with new improved gear, even if the improvements are "slight".

My thinking is in that year, you could take a lot of NICE photographs if you get lens "XYZ" that you're eyeing now, rather than waiting for a possibly improved version of said lens XYZ. If a new version comes out at all. And if it's an actual improvement, at that.

flash

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Gordon

I was not one of the earliest of adopters of this system, but I did get my PEN back in November of 09. I feel like Olympus as their customer, is leaving me behind.

When it comes to the newer bodies, I have never felt that I should have waited to buy into this system. There have been marginal differences between the newer bodies and my E-P1, even after over a year of the initial release. I understand as a an Embedded Engineer how fast silicon improves and how fast the technology changes.

I do however get irritated and frustrated when it was obvious that a collapasable lens design with improved AF comes out only a year after the initial lens. There is no reason why a faster/better collapsable lens design wasn't available a year ago.While IC's may get faster and faster and change, optical design and software algorithms don't change that fast. My guess is what this boils down to is that the newer design was triggered by the market changes and the gain recovery costs of the design of the original lens.

There is the general attitude in the electronics or even photographic community that early adopters will get shafted because thats just how things work. I know with the business I am in, which is highly technical, that if we provided to the market 6 months or a year later new technology that early adopters took a risk in without providing software and hardware upgrades for free, my company would be out of business. No one would buy from us again because we did not provide a certail level of service to the original risk takers.

In saying that, I really do understand from an electronics point of view that I was taking a risk. This is something I deal with in my work with processors and ICs. When I purchased a Plasma TV 5 years ago, I knew that there would be something greater a year later.

I sure didn't expect however that Olympus would provide a little over a year later the lens it should have had in the first place. I don't have the kind of expendable income to purchase every lens that Olympus or any company finally makes right.

I was personally ready to pull the tigger on the 17mm. Now I have second thoughts. Will they come out with a 17mm with the new focusing system? Maybe, Maybe not. But why should I take the risk with my money to do so?

You can spend your whole life waiting. Or you can just get on with it.

Companies make decisions like this based on multiple factors. While often they are completely boneheaded decisions, they are what they are. No matter what you buy nowadays you should expect a product upgrade cycle of no more than a year.

The two main reasons for this upgrade are actually quite obvious. Firstly they get to provide an actual upgrade for video users. The new lens has some "video designation". I guess that means it AF's better for video or something. The second is to reclaim the smallest/lightest title they lost to the GF2/NEX3 recently. Neither of these ideas appeal to me, so I'll happily pass.

At least they kept the same body design. Especially since I just picked up my housing this morning for my epL-1. :smile:

Gordon

ismailfaruqi

Mu-43 Regular

in the other hand, if CPU, GPU, or SSD companies give upgrade for free, they would be out of business.

My 2 cents: buy Panasonic. They usually do it right from the first time. :D

Djarum

Super Moderator
Real Name
Jason
in the other hand, if CPU, GPU, or SSD companies give upgrade for free, they would be out of business.

My 2 cents: buy Panasonic. They usually do it right from the first time. :D

We are talking two different things. We are talking about products with a history of fast obsolence compared to products that do not.

For example:

Olympus Lens: Zooms - SLRgear.com!

Olympus replaced the 14-45 4 years after the original lens. The 14-54 mark II came out 3 years after the original. When it comes to lenses and the history of Olympus's lenses, unlike electronics, do not have that short of a revision life cycle.

goldenlight

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
John
I doubt this latest version of the E-PL1 is intended as an upgrade for people who already have one. More likely it's a small tweek to boost sales that are by now dropping off on an ageing (in modern photographic terms) model. I expect a new body likely to appeal as an upgrade to existing users of all Pens will come sometime in the early part of next year.

shoturtle

40% of the Japanese market embrace evil's and HD is huge there. They needed to package a HD friendly lenses with the epl-1 to keep up with the gh2.

JohnF

Mu-43 Regular
Hi -

Anyone have any idea on price? My younger daughter will be in Japan in April and I'm contemplating having her pick one up. My older daughter wants my EP1 and such an opportunity doesn't come along every day... :)

JohNF

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom