E-PL1s announced

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by ronbot, Nov 15, 2010.

1. ronbot

ronbot Mu-43 Regular

Apr 27, 2010
    It now goes to ISO6400 and comes with a smaller, lighter and faster focusing lens, but is that it? Is this enough of an update to warrant replacing your e-pl1? Would you buy the lens if it is available?

Here is the spec:
    Source: DC Watch

New lens:
  2. qball

qball Mu-43 Regular

Jun 19, 2010
    Doesn't look like they changed much. Slightly more sensitive and different batter? Or am I missing something else.
  3. sblehm

sblehm Mu-43 Regular

Aug 28, 2010
    comes in red now....
  4. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    The 14-42mm zoom lens is new. It's smaller, faster focus and now takes 37mm filters like the 17mm lens.
  5. shoturtle

Oct 15, 2010
    so is the lens mount plastic or metal?
  6. linkedit

linkedit Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 6, 2010
    New Jersey, USA
    the E-PL1 will probably go bye bye. The E-PL1s should have been called the E-PL1.5 :biggrin:
  7. shoturtle

Oct 15, 2010
    the epl-1 will get a simple firmware and will have the same specs as the epl1s. All it is, is a iso expansion. Not a new sensor. And the lens, is the lens, simple to change if it is something you want.

I hated the plastic mount on the epl-1 kit lens, so I got the silver metal mount lens instead. Simple fix if you want a faster lens.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. VooDoo64

VooDoo64 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 17, 2010
    Zagreb - Croatia
    Davor Vojvoda
    Maybe E-PLs will have dramatic art filter from E-5, and better af in-body !? that would be a change, and the lens - i will wait to see is it sharp as mkI or is it a compensation to faster AF, because 17mm is not nearly as sharp as 14-42, not to mention the 14-150 and its well-known problems with CA
  9. shoturtle

Oct 15, 2010
    From that japanese press release, except for the iso unlock to 6400iso which that sensor was able to do, and the new kit lens. It is pretty much the same features as the epl-1

The new battery is to meet new battery regs, and is interchangeable with the epl-1 battery.
  10. shoturtle

Oct 15, 2010

optically the 14-42 was not a great lens, it is good because of the lens correction. I see the new lens to be about the same optically, and get the correction treatment to get similar results.
  11. deirdre

deirdre Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 9, 2010
    The red is a nice color!

12. willo

willo Mu-43 Regular

Jan 25, 2010
    Still no remote which is a shame.
  13. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    I hope this bumps down the price the on old e-pL1.
    So now we have three versiuons of the m4/3rds 14-42 ?
    Metal-mount, plastic-mount and MkII, never mind the different colours...

If it has processor improvements and the 'dramatic' filter it'll suit very well those who will not afford the e-5.
  14. Rudi

Rudi Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 16, 2010
    Nope and nope! :smile:
  15. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    My wife and daughter looked at my black GF1 when I bought it and said "That's nice" and ignored it.

Picked up a used red G1 and they both loved it. And want it.

The Model T approach to selling cameras is gone.
  16. drawingwithlight

drawingwithlight New to Mu-43

Nov 16, 2010
    The red camera has always been available in the UK, wonder if this means the USA blue will be available over here?

I'm a bit of a EPL-1 newbie, but wondering will this "new" EPL-1 be more expensive?
    and when will it be available in shops?
    I have an EPL-1 on my christmas list, so wonder if I should specify this "new" version?

17. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Depending on how much lighter/smaller/faster the kit lens is, I might be interested in getting the kit lens for the E-P1, assuming the focus is the same for it as it is the new camera.
  18. Rider

Rider Mu-43 Regular

Oct 14, 2010
    In what way is the silver mount lens faster than the e-pl1 kit lens? AF speed?
  19. shoturtle

Oct 15, 2010
    Bad sentance structure. I meant to say, if you want a fast AF lens, just upgrade the lens. Like I did not like the plastic lens, so I traded in the plastic one and brought the metal mount.

So if you want the faster lens, just sell the kit lens of the epl1 and get the new lens.
  20. drawingwithlight

drawingwithlight New to Mu-43

Nov 16, 2010
    also, wondering as someone said the batteries are interchangeable, will the new batteries work in old EPL1, or will the interchangeability only work one way??