Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Brian S, Feb 18, 2010.

1. Brian S

Brian S Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 11, 2009
    This seems worse than configuring a new Laptop sometimes.

I want a dual-use Digital camera. My wife wants a really nice Digital to replace a P&S that she never liked. She'll use my Leica Mini P&S film camera before the Kodak Easy-something.

Has to be compact, has to have a built in flash, has to be easy to use and give good images. Has to have a reliable battery. That puts me in the Olympus line-up as far as I can tell.

And for me- use old manual focus lenses, meaning an Electronic Viewfinder.

1) Can the EP1 be used with an electronic viewfinder? I know it needs an add-on flash.

2) Any word on the E-PL1 being offered with the 17mm lens over the Zoom?

3) Any real disadvantage of the E-PL1 over the E-P2?

I figure the Electronic Viewfinder is going to push the price up. But- back to that built-in flash. They spoil you.
  2. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

Brian, you'll get a some much more helpful answers shortly, but no you can't put an EVF on the E-P1, that much I can say decisively.

As for disadvantages over the E-PL1 vs the E-P2, that depends upon one's point of view. For some the lack of what they might consider cumbersome controls would not be a disadvantage at all, while others would feel thwarted by what they considered a limited choice.

There's got to be a list somewhere that shows what each camera offers.

Have you and your wife looked through an EVF? For me it was imperative but that's because I wear "progressive lenses" and really find it incredibly helpful.
  3. Brian S

Apr 11, 2009
    None of my cameras have an EVF- except the video cameras. And one of those is manual focus with a Monochrome CRT... But I could focus its F1.2 lens without problems!

I should stop by Penn camera.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Brian S

Apr 11, 2009
    I've been reading up on the Panasonic GF-1, its EVF, and the E-PL1.

Panasonic GF-1 (which is completely different from a G1) has a built in flash, price of it+EVF puts it up against the Olympus E-P2 in price. The Panasonic EVF is $199.

G1, GF1, E-P1, E-PL1, E-P2, These names: they need more serialized Numbers! Almost as bad as the Canon F1, F1, and F1.

I suspect that the introduction of the E-PL1 is going to put pressure on Panasonic to lower the price on the GF-1. Worth waiting a month or so to find out.