1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

E-PL1

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Brian S, Feb 18, 2010.

1. Brian S

Brian S Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 11, 2009
    This seems worse than configuring a new Laptop sometimes.

I want a dual-use Digital camera. My wife wants a really nice Digital to replace a P&S that she never liked. She'll use my Leica Mini P&S film camera before the Kodak Easy-something.

Has to be compact, has to have a built in flash, has to be easy to use and give good images. Has to have a reliable battery. That puts me in the Olympus line-up as far as I can tell.

And for me- use old manual focus lenses, meaning an Electronic Viewfinder.

Questions:

1) Can the EP1 be used with an electronic viewfinder? I know it needs an add-on flash.

2) Any word on the E-PL1 being offered with the 17mm lens over the Zoom?

3) Any real disadvantage of the E-PL1 over the E-P2?

I figure the Electronic Viewfinder is going to push the price up. But- back to that built-in flash. They spoil you.

2. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

Brian, you'll get a some much more helpful answers shortly, but no you can't put an EVF on the E-P1, that much I can say decisively.

As for disadvantages over the E-PL1 vs the E-P2, that depends upon one's point of view. For some the lack of what they might consider cumbersome controls would not be a disadvantage at all, while others would feel thwarted by what they considered a limited choice.

There's got to be a list somewhere that shows what each camera offers.

Have you and your wife looked through an EVF? For me it was imperative but that's because I wear "progressive lenses" and really find it incredibly helpful.

3. Brian S

Apr 11, 2009
    None of my cameras have an EVF- except the video cameras. And one of those is manual focus with a Monochrome CRT... But I could focus its F1.2 lens without problems!

I should stop by Penn camera.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Brian S

Apr 11, 2009
    I've been reading up on the Panasonic GF-1, its EVF, and the E-PL1.

Panasonic GF-1 (which is completely different from a G1) has a built in flash, price of it+EVF puts it up against the Olympus E-P2 in price. The Panasonic EVF is $199.

G1, GF1, E-P1, E-PL1, E-P2, These names: they need more serialized Numbers! Almost as bad as the Canon F1, F1, and F1.

I suspect that the introduction of the E-PL1 is going to put pressure on Panasonic to lower the price on the GF-1. Worth waiting a month or so to find out.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.