E-PL1

Brian Mosley

Administrator Emeritus
Yes, I wonder what (if anything) is implied by the L in E-PL1 ?

E-PL(ight)1?

It will be interesting to see whether Olympus have managed to include IBIS if the camera is smaller/lighter/cheaper... somehow I doubt it.

Still, if it reduces the size and entry level price for m4/3rds - can only be a good thing! On second thoughts, I'm really frustrated by the lack of High Grade Olympus lenses for m4/3rds... thank heavens Panasonic have created at least 1 decent lens for the format.

Cheers

Brian

willo

Mu-43 Regular
Dunno if it's just me but I'm getting bored of new Olympus bodies, just give us some good fast glass (m43 version on the 12-60mm or 14-54mm II would be a good start!!).

I think this model will sit below the E-P1/2 with no IBIS, very similar to how the E-420 sits in the current line up. Wonder if they will allow it to use the E-P2 EVF?

Brian Mosley

Administrator Emeritus
Well, there is hope - the teaser ad talks about not being able to hide innovation... so maybe there's something new here.

The thing is, P&S cams seem to have the leading edge, innovative features... like GPS, touch sensitive screens etc. I wonder if this will be true innovation - or something we've already seen in a P&S?

I suppose, if this is going to be a cheaper high volume cam - maybe they'll be looking to do something new as they would in the P&S market?

Cheers

Brian

Streetshooter

Administrator Emeritus
I have the Pen 1. In my mind it is still the new Oly.
Maybe this new one, if priced right would keep my wife off my Pen.
She just loves that camera.
More info please.....

Brian Mosley

Administrator Emeritus
Well, I love the bit about 'launching more lenses..' - I hope you're right Chow :biggrin:

Cheers

Brian

Chow Monkey

Mu-43 Regular
There are more consumers who are less interested in pro lenses than people like us. So my guess is Olympus will target at the largest market first..
The current m43 cams are still rather expensive compared to highend p&s cams. It's extremely smart if they now launch an m43 in the same pricerange as for example the Canon G11.

Today I received my 20mm btw and untill now after only a few testshots I'm happy what I see :wink:

Brian Mosley

Administrator Emeritus
Congratulations - it's a killer lens for m4/3rds... the best thing to happen so far imho.

Cheers

Brian

Streetshooter

Administrator Emeritus
Chow....forgive me Bro but that new camera looks like something you might eat but not make photos with....

Hey..hey...I'm just sayin'

Chow Monkey

Mu-43 Regular
It's horrible.. Really.. Not sure what Olympus was thinking.. They started of with an insanely nice designed Pen and now they just are trying to get a quick part of the market by dumping toys.. It's not why I choose Olympus to be honest.. So let's wait if they recover and come up with a m43 flagship..
I feel sorry for all those E-3 owners also who see Olympus develop a new m43 every month now while they are still waiting for the E-5 which I suspect will be the last dslr if it ever appears..

BBW

Super Moderator Emeritus
It's a tough economic world even for big companies, so I'm guessing that they're doing what they can to keep a share of the market. Those of us who aren't interested in this type of camera will be fine, while others will feel good having this new one and most likely get a better quality of photo and have a good time doing it.

Meanwhile, I want a fast wide angle!:biggrin:

Chow Monkey

Mu-43 Regular
Well with the 5D Mark II, the 7D and Nikon with it's insane dslr range I doubt if Olympus can really launch a competitor in that segment. I wouldn't be surprised if on the long term Olympus will decide to drop that game and focus entirely on this m43 market and get a good hold on it. Neither Canon and Nikon are active in this part so Olympus seem to be eager to get hold on that.. And if they put all their r&d in m43 than I'm pessimistic on further highend dslr development.. But I might be wrong..

Yes and I want this 12 or 14mm wideangle also.. With 1.7 or better..

goldenlight

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
John
Well with the 5D Mark II, the 7D and Nikon with it's insane dslr range I doubt if Olympus can really launch a competitor in that segment. I wouldn't be surprised if on the long term Olympus will decide to drop that game and focus entirely on this m43 market and get a good hold on it. Neither Canon and Nikon are active in this part so Olympus seem to be eager to get hold on that.. And if they put all their r&d in m43 than I'm pessimistic on further highend dslr development.. But I might be wrong..

Yes and I want this 12 or 14mm wideangle also.. With 1.7 or better..

I hope you are wrong but realistically I think it could go either way. On the one hand, if the MFT market booms as it seems it will, Olympus may well decide to concentrate exclusively on that and stop :horse: with standard Four Thirds.

On the other hand, and this is the scenario I hope for, success in the MFT market may give Olympus the funding to further develop their DSLR range. There is, after all, a certain marketing kudos in having a "pro" flagship like the E-3. I think the big test will be whether or nor they release an E-3 successor this year....that will certainly point the way ahead.

In any case, I think within ten years virtually all cameras will be mirrorless. For those that still need a bit of heft in a camera, such as when using extreme telephotos, there is no reason why MFT mirrorless technology should not be incorporated in a pro spec full size camera - with a built in EVF, of course.

But all this is just crystal ball gazing, I doubt even Olympus know for sure what direction they will ultimately take in this respect. One thing is sure, the next few years will be very interesting. :wink:

hohoho

Mu-43 Regular
It's horrible.. Really.. Not sure what Olympus was thinking.. They started of with an insanely nice designed Pen and now they just are trying to get a quick part of the market by dumping toys..

To me it looks very similar to what preceded it. However, it's in silver. Here at least, Mr & Ms Average like silver. Left to choose for themselves, Mr may choose black and Ms may choose pink, but neither moans too much about silver.

Olympus DSLRs don't sell well. Olympus P&Ss don't sell well. The "Pen" has been successful in its niche, but the niche is small. If Olympus can add a flash and yet more varieties of automation, drop one or two extras that may interest people here but don't interest most people, show that the result is better than an average P&S or cellphone, and keep the price down, the result may sell well. (Or it may not. I have no MBA.) Later Olympus may add black (or, gods help us, "olive drab" or camo) for the guys and pink for the gals.

willo

Mu-43 Regular
The reason there are no dials is to differenciate it from the E-P1/2, otherwise everyone would buy the E-PL1. Most companies do it.

Latest threads

Top Bottom