E-PL1 worth it just for IBIS?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Jonathan F/2, Aug 25, 2011.

1. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I currently own a G3. Love it, great camera. I had a GF2, but I'm giving that to the wife with the 14mm pancake. So I'm now considering an E-PL1. For $230, I can get a refurb'ed body. I was thinking of using it mainly for low-light and on MF glass to take advantage of the IBIS. I was thinking I could stick the 17mm on my G3 and then my 50 1.4 Nikkor-S on the E-PL1.

The E-PL1 is the cheapest m43 body I can find. Should I go for it or am I better off just sticking to my G3? Opinions welcomed!

2. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Tom
    I believe the E-PL1 will be considerably smaller as well--more easily slipped into a pocket if you mount a pancake lens on it. I have a G1 and an E-PL1 and IBIS definitely helps some, though not the advertised 3 stops.

3. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    For IBiS you may want to consider E-P2 or E-P2 which have stronger IBIS implementation

4. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I suppose I fall into the minority but I went from an E-PL1 to a G2. I like to use legacy glass and I went with the G2 because of it' muh better handling and built-in EVF. I was initially concerned that I would regret the lack of IBIS on the G2 but I have not found that to be the case at all. In fact, IMHO te G2 is the best m43 body I have used for legacy glass (between the E-P1, E-PL1, E-PL2 and GF2).

If I were choosing between the G3 and the E-PL1 I would get the G3. IQ is IMHO better, resolution is better, built-in EVF, articulating LCD and I prefer the mini DSLR form factor. Also, if you add in the cost of a VF2 to the cost of an E-PL1 you are getting close to the cost of the G3. Now, if you really prefer going with Olympus (and there are some compelling reasons to do so) I would look at an E-PL2 instead.

5. KS11

KS11 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 31, 2011
    Busan/Hong Kong
    i started out with a epl1, got it used and still think it's very useful for my manual lenses, my gf1 is my main walkaround camera, but in a pinch my epl1 can do all that and a little more (albeit a little more slowly with af)...i highly recommend the epl1 if price is a consideration for you and you are not looking for a epl2

6. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Firstly, I love IBIS (or equal) and I wish all my lenses/cameras had IBIS/IS.

But ... (the big but), IBIS is not a cure all. IBIS allows one to handhold and take a photograph, (generally in low light), without ISO adjustment. (I realize that statement is an over-generalization ... I don't want to a long and detailed explanation diving into aperture and shutter speed. But it contains much truth.)

In low light conditions IBIS allows one to capture an image with a better IQ than without IBIS. The E-PL1 claims a three stop IBIS, so a non-IBIS photo taken at ISO 1600 could be shot at ISO 200, with IBIS and all else being equal.

Remember that IBIS will only steady camera/hand shake and will not stop subject action. If your shutter speed is not fast enough to stop action then engaging the IBIS won't make a difference, the subject will still be blurred (but the non-moving elements will be sharp).

Fast glass, elevated ISO, pods (mono and tri), flash, careful/selective metering and practicing low shutter speed camera techniques will go a long way to compensate for lack of IBIS. In fact a tripod trumps IBIS (albeit not as convenient as IBIS).

G

• Like Like x 1