E-PL1 worth it just for IBIS?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Jonathan F/2, Aug 25, 2011.

1. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    I currently own a G3. Love it, great camera. I had a GF2, but I'm giving that to the wife with the 14mm pancake. So I'm now considering an E-PL1. For $230, I can get a refurb'ed body. I was thinking of using it mainly for low-light and on MF glass to take advantage of the IBIS. I was thinking I could stick the 17mm on my G3 and then my 50 1.4 Nikkor-S on the E-PL1.

The E-PL1 is the cheapest m43 body I can find. Should I go for it or am I better off just sticking to my G3? Opinions welcomed!

2. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Tom
    I believe the E-PL1 will be considerably smaller as well--more easily slipped into a pocket if you mount a pancake lens on it. I have a G1 and an E-PL1 and IBIS definitely helps some, though not the advertised 3 stops.

3. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    For IBiS you may want to consider E-P2 or E-P2 which have stronger IBIS implementation

4. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I suppose I fall into the minority but I went from an E-PL1 to a G2. I like to use legacy glass and I went with the G2 because of it' muh better handling and built-in EVF. I was initially concerned that I would regret the lack of IBIS on the G2 but I have not found that to be the case at all. In fact, IMHO te G2 is the best m43 body I have used for legacy glass (between the E-P1, E-PL1, E-PL2 and GF2).

If I were choosing between the G3 and the E-PL1 I would get the G3. IQ is IMHO better, resolution is better, built-in EVF, articulating LCD and I prefer the mini DSLR form factor. Also, if you add in the cost of a VF2 to the cost of an E-PL1 you are getting close to the cost of the G3. Now, if you really prefer going with Olympus (and there are some compelling reasons to do so) I would look at an E-PL2 instead.

5. KS11

KS11 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 31, 2011
    Busan/Hong Kong
    i started out with a epl1, got it used and still think it's very useful for my manual lenses, my gf1 is my main walkaround camera, but in a pinch my epl1 can do all that and a little more (albeit a little more slowly with af)...i highly recommend the epl1 if price is a consideration for you and you are not looking for a epl2

6. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Firstly, I love IBIS (or equal) and I wish all my lenses/cameras had IBIS/IS.

But ... (the big but), IBIS is not a cure all. IBIS allows one to handhold and take a photograph, (generally in low light), without ISO adjustment. (I realize that statement is an over-generalization ... I don't want to a long and detailed explanation diving into aperture and shutter speed. But it contains much truth.)

In low light conditions IBIS allows one to capture an image with a better IQ than without IBIS. The E-PL1 claims a three stop IBIS, so a non-IBIS photo taken at ISO 1600 could be shot at ISO 200, with IBIS and all else being equal.

Remember that IBIS will only steady camera/hand shake and will not stop subject action. If your shutter speed is not fast enough to stop action then engaging the IBIS won't make a difference, the subject will still be blurred (but the non-moving elements will be sharp).

Fast glass, elevated ISO, pods (mono and tri), flash, careful/selective metering and practicing low shutter speed camera techniques will go a long way to compensate for lack of IBIS. In fact a tripod trumps IBIS (albeit not as convenient as IBIS).

G

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.