1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

E-PL1 with a heavy lens Questions

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Fred S, Apr 16, 2012.

1. Fred S

Fred S Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 20, 2012
    Calgary
    Fred S
    I have an E-PL1 with a viltrox adapter carrying a 4/3 70-300 lens
    The weight of the lens and adapter is close to 700 g
    Is this a little to much weight on the nose of an E-PL1 ?
    I currently carry the camera holding the lens.

Thanks in advance.

2. Ranger Rick

Ranger Rick Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 11, 2009
    Tempe, AZ
    Rick
    I am new to MFT, and have wondered about this as well. I had decided that something like my Nikon 70-300mm, even though lighter than a 70-200, is just too heavy for MFT of any kind if using a body-mount to the tripod. Even on DSLR's they are said to be too heavy to use via the body alone, and there are special collars with feet on the lens, which are then used to mount the lens on the tripod (the body then supported in the air at the back of the tripod-mounted lens).

Sent using Mu-43 App

3. everythingsablur

everythingsablur Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 4, 2010
    Toronto, ON
    Since you're holding the camera generally by the lens when you have that lens attached, it shouldn't be a problem.

Despite the body of several cameras being fairly plasticy, the lens mount on the body is always metal, as should a good chunk of the body frame itself. Other than some of the newer, lower end lenses (generally the kit lenses), the mount on the lens itself is generally metal as well. I've never heard of anyone's lenses getting sheared off because of the plastic mount, but in theory I suppose it could happen if you had a plastic mounted lens and dropped your camera in such a way and at such a height that the mount suffers the brunt of the impact force.

I don't think you have anything to worry about in that respect. If anything, holding that rig from the body would just be uncomfortable/unwieldy after a while.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Hell no, that is not a heavy lens at all. :rolleyes: Go out and enjoy your system, there's nothing to worry about.

Of course, you should be holding your camera by the lens and not the body. This was no different in the days of DSLRs with much bigger lenses that also dwarfed the bodies. The light weight of your Micro Four-Thirds body will only reduce the strain. Mount construction hasn't changed, so throwing a lighter body on that mount is not going to make it less durable. A heavy body on one end and a heavy lens on the other will have a lot more strain than your setup, and the only time I've managed to bend a camera mount was on a heavy, metal-framed body (after dropping it with a good sized lens, of course).

Mind you, I can't speak for the construction of the Viltrox adapter. As I understand it, those things are inexpensive to buy anyways. ;) Either way the 70-300mm is NOT a heavy lens, so don't worry... These camera mounts are made to withstand much heavier gear than that.

• Like Like x 2
  5. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Then you should be fine.

What can cause problems is mounting the body on a tripod when using a heavy lens (that's why really heavy lenses have their own tripod mounts). But the 70-300 isn't heavy enough for that to be a problem.

DH

6. Fred S

Fred S Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 20, 2012
    Calgary
    Fred S
    That is what I am planning on doing :biggrin:

Thank you very much for all the reply's.
    That is what I thought , but it never hurts to ask.

7. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    How well does the Viltrox adapter work?

8. Fred S

Fred S Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 20, 2012
    Calgary
    Fred S
    Works GREAT on ALL my 43 Lenses
    14-42, 14-54 MK1, 40-150, and 70-300
    AF is Good on all . But the 14-54 MK1 is a bit slow.
    The AF on the 70-300 is a bit quicker on my E-pl compared to my E-520
    Quite Noticable . :2thumbs:

9. drathquark

drathquark Mu-43 Regular

Feb 21, 2012
    UK

I've held that by the camera before and it hasn't done any harm, I've also had that lens mounted + 2 teleconverters on a tripod (with the camera connected to the tripod rather than a lens mount) and had no problems either.