1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

E-pl1 vs Sony A65 at Fort Union, New Mexico. Image heavy..

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by littleMT, Aug 25, 2012.

1. littleMT

littleMT Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 8, 2012
    Lucille Sanchez
    Rain was in the forcast, clouds were plentiful, which to me, always adds to a image, especially in the wonderful skys found in the New Mexico deserts...

pulled up to Ft. Union, and the flag proudly waved in the wind:

shot with the 14mm.

ftu14-1.

The way 'we in the USA' used to roll..... a wayback car shot:

14mm
    ftu14-2.

I just love the Panny 14mm f/2.5, this wonderful gem of a lens captures such beautiful colors, and captures the horizon, this is a must own lens, sorry, the kit lens at 14mm doesn't compare..

ftu14-3.

Lookie how the 14mm captures this old relic of war...

ftu14-4.

compared to my Sony A65:

ftus-1.

another Sony shot:

ftus-2.

• Like Like x 6
  2. littleMT

littleMT Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 8, 2012
    Lucille Sanchez
    some more with the 14mm.

a Hoya Liner polarizer was used to aide with the dramatic skys..

Ft. Union in ruins...

ftu14-5.

ftu14-6.

ftu14-7.

ftu14-8.

• Like Like x 7
  3. littleMT

littleMT Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 8, 2012
    Lucille Sanchez
    more renderings from the 14mm, my daytime goto lens, taken every time I go out and find these places that time has passed on by.

ftu14-9.

ftu14-10.

the old Ft. prision, whats left of it..

ftu14-11.

ftu14-12.

the remains of the old hospital, wonder how many died here..

ftu14-13.

• Like Like x 9
  4. littleMT

littleMT Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 8, 2012
    Lucille Sanchez
    Some Sony A65 shots, using a 75-300mm zoom.

the mechanics courtyard:

ftus-4.

ftus-5.

[​IMG]

ftus-7.

• Like Like x 3
  5. littleMT

littleMT Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 8, 2012
    Lucille Sanchez
    Sony A65:

ftus-3.

hospital

ftus-8.

officers quarters

ftus-9.

pes-1.

Another day in the life of LittleMT.....
    from the Land of Enchantment..

so, which camera did better?

• Like Like x 7
  6. littleMT

littleMT Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 8, 2012
    Lucille Sanchez
    as we walked the grounds of the Ft. one could hear the reveille bugle blowing from a distant past....

7. David

David Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 22, 2011
    Sydney
    The EPL-1 with 14mm win hands down. The Olympus ooc jpeg are very good.
    I also have the 14mm and the EPL1. It is a good value combo.

8. littleMT

littleMT Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 8, 2012
    Lucille Sanchez

the Sony was without a polarizer which hurt the sky colors, I need to purchase a high quality filter for it.

9. twalker294

twalker294 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 18, 2010
    Both cameras did a great job for sure. But you know there are some cameras whose images just have that little "something" that you can't put your finger on. It's a combination of sensor, lens, and processing and the end result just has that something special about it. The Olympus MFT cameras all have that "something" -- my EPL1 has it and so does my EM5. I have had other cameras in the past that had it too -- the Sony R1, Canon G3, and Olympus E20 all spring to mind.

Yes your A65 shots are good. But the EPL1 shots are just better. The contrast of the adobe colors against the blue sky is just magical. Yes the polarizer helped this quite a bit but the Oly JPG processing has a lot to do with it as well.

10. btango05

btango05 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 8, 2012
    Lathrop CA
    Stunning photos!! You're truly talented! The oly wins for me but you made the best of that a65 as well....I want some of theses photos for phone wallpapers! Love contrasts between the blue sky and the building remains...you see these colors in southwest shops trying to duplicate what is seen in these pics and few artist can get it right.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

11. littleMT

littleMT Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 8, 2012
    Lucille Sanchez
    I also took my little P@S Samsung ST-76, a $90 camera I bought for a lender for my sons, and also bought one for my grandchild.

here the Sony captures me using it:

pes-0.

and here are some images seen thru the cheapie Samsung:

ftusam-3.

ftusam-1.

ftusam-2.

12. littleMT

littleMT Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 8, 2012
    Lucille Sanchez
    here the E-pl1 + 14mm captures me with the Samsung ST-76.

pec14-6.

• Like Like x 1
  13. littleMT

littleMT Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 8, 2012
    Lucille Sanchez
    a few of the Ft, using the Samsung ST-76, playing around and getting to know it, everytime we go out, we always commit to learning, practicing, and having fun, this tiny credit card size camera is fun, but I need to buy a Sony r100 I think.

ftusam-8.

ftusam-9.

ftusam-10.

ftusam-11.

ftusam-12.

ftusam-13.

ftusam-14.

the Samsung ST-76:

samsung.

14. zapatista

zapatista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Denver, Colorado, USA
    Mike
    Love the pictures, my sky landscapes often look flat. I think the Lobos football team's new practice facility has been found. Thanks for doing the scouting!

15. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Interesting comparison.

I prefer the E-PL1 shots BUT…

The Oly shots show a redder adobe and bluer skies than the Sony shots. Nic (Lucky penguin) believes that his Oly (the E-M5) underexposes by around 0.7 to 1.0 EV. I've got an E-P3 and an E-M5 and I think both expose about right, but I also seem to like my images darker than Nic likes his.

Note that I am talking about what the sensor delivers, not what the meter delivers. I checked the EXIF data and you used manual exposure on the images I checked, and the exposure readings seemed comparable. My feeling is that with exactly the same exposure the Sony will deliver a lighter image with slightly less saturated reds and blues. I think Oly play around a little with their colour saturation in their jpegs, but the difference in overall image luminance is exposure and I do think Olympus and Sony have their sensors set differently. I do prefer the slightly lower EV rendition that Olympus seem to go for.

I do think the Sony may be capturing a wider dynamic range than the Oly, judging by highlighting in the clouds.

Which is better? Hard question. I think you can get both to deliver images of equal luminance, or brightness/darkness, but you'd need to underexpose a bit with the Sony compared to what you're doing here. I think that would bring the Sony closer to my preference and eliminate some of what I prefer in the E-PL1 shots. I think boosting the vibrance or saturation slightly in the Sony shots during processing or in camera would also get the Sony results closer to the Oly.

I think the difference is a lot less about one camera being better than the other than about preferring one sort of processing over the other, and while you (and I) obviously prefer the E-PL1 here, I think you can tweak the Sony to deliver a lot closer to your preferences than it is delivering here by underexposing a bit and playing with vibrance/saturation either in camera or later processing.

16. BobbyD

BobbyD Mu-43 Regular

Aug 5, 2012
    Alabama
    Really nice images. I also like the EPL1 images better. As matter of fact it was some of your images that made me decide to pick up the EPL1 over the EP3. I thought there was such a price difference but IQ was the same that, it was a no brainer. Now I have to have a 14mm, 45mm, 14-150mm, P20mm. You may have to stop posting or I'm going to go broke.:rofl:

17. littleMT

littleMT Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 8, 2012
    Lucille Sanchez
    Another thing, I used a cheapo 75mm - 300mm zoom lens on the Sony, as opposed to the 35mm f/1.8 prime I have for the Sony. The cheapo zoom does have a blah look to it, while the Sony has more colors and shines with the 35mm prime...

but all of this, is the fun of learning, I love that Sony, the A65 is very solid, but I also love shooting a image that rivals a DSLR with a $119 refurb e-pl1..

18. littleMT

littleMT Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 8, 2012
    Lucille Sanchez
    you go daddy-o!

the low cost of a refurb e-pl1 is so compelling, it is a lean mean picture taking machine, and it's controls are not that bad at all, I can make adjustments very speedily, I always shoot in pure manual mode.

get that 14mm, I paid $169 for mine on ebay, it is a steal at that price.

I just love this lens...

19. David

David Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 22, 2011
    Sydney
    We see this regularly. THe later sensors will have a slight edge compare to the older bodies. But in reality. When there is good light. They are very close and
    even a body that is few years old will handle most situations comfortably.

( hence spoend the money on the lens )

20. littleMT

littleMT Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 8, 2012
    Lucille Sanchez
    a few shot with the PL25MM....

ftu25-1.

ftu25-2.

I thought in this setting the 14mm outperformed the PL25mm.

• Like Like x 1