1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

E-pl1 vs e-pm1

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by novice, Dec 29, 2011.

1. novice

novice New to Mu-43

Dec 23, 2011
    I couldn't decide btw E-PL1 and PEN E-PM1. With the boxing price EPM1 is $70 more than EPL1 which is not much different. Although PM1 has a bit higher spec on movie mode and screen but PL1 does seem to have other practical options e.g. dial modes, auto dust reduction, pop-up flash with extra flash shoe.

Which one should I pick?:confused:

2. timothysoong

timothysoong Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 10, 2011
    Taipei, Taiwan
    If you think you need those dial modes, pop-up flash, hot-shoe and if you feel comfortable with the grip, then get the E-PL1.

If you think those are not needed, then go for the E-PM1 for better IQ. Its all up to what you want. =)

3. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    E-PM1 better IQ?
    You sure about this?

4. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Better AWB for the E-PM1 for sure!

5. timothysoong

timothysoong Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 10, 2011
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Oops my bad. The E-PL1 has slightly better IQ. However the E-PM1 has higher max SS, higher res videos, higher ISO, has a panaroma feature. Thank you for correcting @RT_Panther.

6. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    E-PL1 delivers slightly sharper and more detailed jpeg pictures than ALL the Pens (according to the various camera review sites). But the latest generation of Pens including the E-PM1 deliver very noticably clearer and more detailed video, plus the kit lens on the E-PM1 focuses much faster and silently which makes it even more superior for video.

7. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    E-PM1 has ability to connect shutter remote (wireless or wired), has AF Assist light, much faster AF, markedly improved AWB, much higher resolution screen which is brighter with better contrast ratio, 1/4000s max shutter speed, much faster art filter processing due to new dual core processor, 5.5fps burst (great for HDR), full HD 1080 AVCHD video with stereo mic. E-PM1 is also considerably smaller and lighter than E-PL1.

8. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I disagree that the E-PL1 has better IQ than the E-PM1. I have looked at the image samples on DPReview that I have seen mentioned as being an example of this and what it look like to me is that the E-PL1 images receive more sharpening by default. Also, in practice (having had an E-PL1, PL2, P1 and now and E-PM1) the IQ is so similar between them that I would have a tough time telling one from the other if it weren't for the EXIF data.

In my own experience with the various PEN cameras I found the E-PL1 to be the LEAST desirable of all the m43 cameras I've had. It is a very capable performer but it's slow to AF, has a low resolution screen (and smaller than the E-P1), I found the button controls to be a tad clumsy and the 1/2000th maximum shutter speed was limiting when using fast lenses. Of course everyone is different but I wouldn't trade the E-PM1 for any E-PL1.

• Like Like x 3
  9. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    E-PL1 is slow but it can boast a native ISO 100 :smile:

10. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    It's not enough to overcome its shortcomings FOR ME

11. AdamThirtle

AdamThirtle Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Newcastle, UK
    I'd say go with the E-PM1, I've had an E-PL1 in the past and it wasn't great, clicking buttons forever and I found the shutter speed only going to 2000 quite limiting. I moved back a step and purchased a used E-P1 and haven't looked back since.

12. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    It it was say, $200 difference, I'd say there's something to consider, weigh the pluses and minuses, etc. If it's truly $70 difference, then it's a no brainer, IMO -- EPM1.

13. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Option 2
    Refurbished E-PL1 is $179....save your change for some good glass :smile:

14. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Yeah, but then just get a used or discount EPL2. A MUCH better camera, and can be found for only $30-40 more!

• Like Like x 1
  15. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Tom
    I've had both. To me, the PM1 wins hands-down EXCEPT for the following:

ISO 100--useful to have, wish the PM1 had it;
    IBIS--significantly more effective on the PL1, and I never had the problem of IBIS degrading images at higher shutter speeds, like some report. With the PM1 it's much less useful.

Although the PM1 lacks buttons it does have the control wheel, which I find very useful (I guess PL2 users can comment more about this). And--to ME--the lack of buttons is actually a good thing because I don't hit the wrong one, which is what kept happening when I tried an E-P3 a while back.

And-for ME--the size difference is really noticeable, especially since I often carry the camera + pancake lens in my front pocket.

16. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Since there are really no sensor differences, you'll get no debate from me on this one ..:smile:

17. I voted E-PL1 just to be disagreeable.

18. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    We're both E-PL1 owners....:wink:

19. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    Usability is worth something

20. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend