E-PL1 VF1 or EVF?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by sugoi, Jun 22, 2010.

1. sugoi

sugoi Mu-43 Regular

May 18, 2010
    Hi Guys,
    I'm thinking about buying an EVF for my e-pl1. Will the vf-1 work with this camera? and if it does, is the vf-2 worth that much more money? I've also seen Ricoh VF-2 for a little less than the Olympus model any opinions on that. thanks for the help guys!

2. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus Charter Member

sugoi, are you talking about the viewfinder that is just a viewfinder when you say vf-1? I have no idea if it will work. You might want to check the Olympus website.

The EVF - electronic viewfinder is a thing of beauty. There are many posts about its virtues. It is electronic and has a diopter correction and is crystal clear! It's as though you were endowed with super vision!

Let me see if I can find some good threads for you to read. Just go down to your camera store and try it if you can - and you'll never look back.:cloud-9-039:

• Like Like x 4
  3. sugoi

sugoi Mu-43 Regular

May 18, 2010
    thanks bbw,
    I've read nothing but good things about the vf-2 but I'm just trying to decide if its worth ~$250. I wasn't aware that the vf-1 wasn't electronic I guess that's why it costs it so much less.

• Like Like x 2
  4. BBW

5. BBW

I'm not even sure if it works with the E-PL1. You know I have never seen one in real life, sugoi, so I can't really say what they are like. It's described as a "bright optical viewfinder" and I only see it being referred to with the E-P1. You can check out Olympus and see if it's listed as an accessory and check out B & H Photo, etc., too.

6. sugoi

sugoi Mu-43 Regular

May 18, 2010
  7. BBW

I really don't know. I suggest you edit your title to E-PL1 VF1 or EVF?

Meanwhile I will see if I can send some knowledgeable help your way.:wink:

8. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator Moderator Subscribing Member

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    The VF-1 is just an optical viewfinder that was developed with the EP1 to work with the 17mm pancake lens. It has the same field of view as that lens. It's not an adjustable optical viewfinder, so it will only work effectively with a lens with that field of view, or one pretty close to it. Some folks find it pretty useful with the 20mm lens also, but you wouldn't want to use it with a zoom, a telephoto, or a real wide angle prime (assuming there will be one available soon) because the field of view is so different it would be quite useless.

So the VF-1 will work with any of the Olympus m43 cameras because it attaches to the flash hot-shoe and they all have them. So, yes, it will work with the EPL1 but, again, its only useful with those limited lenses.

The VF-2, being electronic, is showing you whatever the LCD would be showing you so it works with any lens the camera work with as you're effectively looking through the lens and seeing exactly what the sensor sees. The VF-2 works with the EP2 and EPL1 and doesn't work with the EP1 because the EP1 doesn't have the little electronics slot underneath the hot-shoe for the electronic part of it to slide into and communicate all of those bits and bytes and whatnot.

Did that clear anything up for you? Or just MORE confusing?

-Ray

• Like Like x 8
  9. BBW

Wonderful Ray, thank you. I'm sure sugoi will appreciate your help, too.

10. ChristopheG

ChristopheG Mu-43 Regular

Jun 4, 2010
    ChristopheG

The EVF - electronic viewfinder is a thing of beauty and many posts about its virtues. It is electronic and has a diopter correction and is crystal clear! It's as though you were endowed with super vision while the VF-1 will work with any of the Olympus m43 cameras because it attaches to the flash hot-shoe and they all have them. So, it will work with the EPL1 but, again, its only useful with those limited lenses.

• Like Like x 2
  11. deBult

deBult New to Mu-43

May 15, 2010
    Have Both: in use with E-PL1.

The VF-1 (mechanical) gets by far the most use with the 17 mm. Combi does fit my overcoat pocket.

The EVF is wonderfull, I particularly like the fact you can use BOTH eyes: as the EVF sits ABOVE the camera: you use one eye for the viewfinder and one for the overview of the scene.

So both have its use: I would for sure get the EVF as part of the kit first, as it is hard to get on its own on this part of the pond (Europe).

• Like Like x 2
  12. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro Charter Member

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    OMG

I just tried out the VF-2 today at the local shop. It immediately went from thinking-about to the next thing I buy. It is like night and day compared to the Panasonic EVF (which was still useful for outdoors and stabilizing longer lenses). But man, the olympus viewfinder is a thing of beauty. Endowing you with super vision sounds just about right, and manual focus with it was awesome too. Must. Buy. Now.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Did "Buy Now"!

Our EVF arrived today! A week and half ago, it helped my decision to go m4/3 as I got to try it on an EP-2! (we got the E-PL1 though)

Bright sun, no problem and the angle adjustment makes it more comfortable.

• Like Like x 2
  14. pxpaulx

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    I ordered a new (or rather unused) VF-2 on ebay this afternoon from an e-p2 owner - I was willing to wait until JR had them in stock (they have the best bing cashback offer, which would have brought the evf to $237) but after ebay bing cashback I got it for $235 - happy camper!

• Like Like x 2
  15. Brian S

Brian S Mu-43 Top Veteran Charter Member

Apr 11, 2009
    I'm just amazed by the Olympus EVF.

Put a 40mm lens on it, and leave both eyes open. You get a "Stereo-View" of the world. It is like the numbers are floating in space. The resolution and color of the EVF just amazes me. That was the reason for going with the EP2 kit.

• Like Like x 4
  16. sugoi

sugoi Mu-43 Regular

May 18, 2010
  17. DDG

DDG Mu-43 Regular

Jul 15, 2010
    Same here. After the Bing cashback, it was $215 and change. I plan on defraying the cost further by selling off a film SLR and lens I bought about 10 years ago. It hasn't seen a roll of film in 6 or 7 years. Hopefully, when it's all said and done, I'll be less than $100 out of pocket for the viewfinder.

18. pxpaulx

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    Sugoi, since that viewfinder is made for Ricoh cameras, it will not work on either the olympus or panasonic cameras (olympus' and panasonic's viewfinders are also not interchangeable). Viewfinders are all proprietary at this point (except for optical ones that fit in the flash shoe!)