E-PL1, VF1 and 14-42 kit lens...

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by MarkyG, Dec 20, 2010.

1. MarkyG

MarkyG New to Mu-43

Noobie question, so gentle replies appreciated.. :smile:

I am yet to get my hands on a 17mm / 20mm lens to use with my E-PL1 / VF1 combo - the VF1 was an Ebay bargain that just could not be missed.

So, if I set the 14-42mm kit lens to 18/20mm focal length, will I get the same benefit from the VF1? Or is the kit lens too long compared to the 'pancake' style lenses?

Thoughts and considerations welcomed..

2. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    It will work just fine at 17mm on the zoom lens. Personally though, I'd sell it and save up for the VF2.

3. astonandy

astonandy New to Mu-43

Sep 16, 2010
    Have to agree with Gordon about the VF-2. The 17mm with the VF-1 is good for novelty value and to give a little of the vintage Leica feel but the VF-2 is genuinely the most useful accessory I've bought for the E-P2 and was the reason I traded up from the E-P1. I kept the VF-1 for an occasional street-shooting but it's just an occasional use and not an essential part of the camera. You'll love the 17mm though - I hardly ever use the kit lens but the 17mm is a crucial part of my camera kit.
  4. RetroBoy

RetroBoy Mu-43 Regular

G'day fellow Adelaidian!

There's a 17mm for sale here in case you're interested...
  5. wyip

wyip Mu-43 Regular

Nov 17, 2010
    San Francisco, CA
    Yes, from what I've read the VF-1 matches up to the 17mm and 20mm FOV, so the kit zoom set to either of these would work. I think it sounds less than ideal though because of the variability of a zoom, you might not be at exactly at 17mm or 20mm so you might not get the composition you were hoping for. I'd say get a 17mm to go with your VF-1; they can be found for less than $200 (I've seen a couple below $150).

The VF-2 on the other hand is fantastic and would be a better match for the kit zoom.

I actually sold my VF-2 though :eek:. I found myself using the GH1 more, while the E-PL1 was only seeing occasional use with a 17mm pancake. I keep going back and forth on letting go of the E-PL1 and 17mm pancake (would probably fund a Panny 20mm). I like the idea of keeping the E-PL1 + 17mm and adding a VF-1.
  6. MarkyG

MarkyG New to Mu-43

Cheers Retro Boy.. PMd accordingly.

Thanks too for the various VF1 vs. VF2 considerations... I may stick with the VF1 and get used to the kit at 17-20mm, and am seriously considering the 17mm to add to the kitbag...

VF2 will be on the 'wish list' as it's not cheap..

Here's to a great season of photo opps..