E-PL1 upgrade to E-PL2 or GF3?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by musicmaster, Nov 19, 2012.

1. musicmaster

musicmaster Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 19, 2012
    I currently have an E-PL1 camera with the 14-42 kit lens for my vacation camera. Most of the time the camera is fine, but I've always felt that the combination of slow focusing (and sometimes inaccurate) and annoying to use button controls kept me from using it more often.

I can pick up a E-PL2 or GF3 (or a NEX-3) for around $250 used. Is it worth upgrading?

My main camera is a Canon 7D with a whole bunch of glass, so this is being used to compliment it

Anyone go from the PL1 to a PL2 or GF2?
  2. battleaxe

battleaxe Mu-43 Top Veteran

Have you thought about the E-PM1? You can get a factory refurb from Cameta for about $240-250(depends on the color). It lacks a bit of buttons, but it will give you the Olympus color you are use to, with a similar interface. Plus it offers a hot shoe which the GF3 lacks.
    On the other hand you could easily get a GF3 with the 14mm prime for under $300(I just did), which paired with the kit Oly lens could be a good travel combo. Coming from a Panny G2 the interface takes a few minutes to warm up to, but the AF is almost instant(same goes for the E-PM1), something I can't really say about the G2. The GF3 with the 14mm is easily jacket pocketable & almost forgot it was in my jacket. Something to think about.
  3. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    The E-PL2 has similar image quality but significantly better build and controls. The screen is much larger and twice the resolution, the focusing is faster, the response is faster, it's compatible with AP2 accessories, it has a real turn dial, and the body features metal plates instead of the cheap plastic on the E-PL1. It also looks a lot more stylish in my opinion, but that's subjective. I always thought the E-PL1 was the fugliest camera Olympus ever made. ;)

The E-PM1 however is nicer in a lot of ways. Much smaller, faster, and with incredible Auto White Balance. It also has 1080 HD video in continuous AVCHD instead of the limited AVI clips. The E-PL2 is more comfortable to hold and a little easier to control, but the E-PM1 is a great performer and much easier to pack.
  4. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Get an E-PM1. I sold mine and bought another because they're so small and cheap now + what everyone else said!