E-pl1 tips for manual focus in low light?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by mambastik, Mar 6, 2011.

1. mambastik

mambastik Mu-43 Regular

Jan 19, 2011
    Hello everyone. I've had the E-pl1 now for about 2 months (got for Christmas) and I am loving it! Besides the kit lens, I've also acquired the OM 50mm f1.8 and a Soligor 35-105mm f3.5 macro. The more I use these MF lenses, the more I am tempted to get the VF2 with all the amazing things I've been reading about it.

I mostly do low light photography, taking pictures of school events which consists of mostly performances in the auditoriums, stages, etc... I've found it fairly difficult to focus because of how the LCD degrades the quality to maintain the refresh rate. My focusing is a hit or miss. While refresh rate is excellent, my keeping rate is close to 50/50 especially when it comes to photographing those events in low light, and even in poor lighting indoors. I've done manual focusing on my previous camera, the Lumix FZ30, and the keeping rate is 85%+; excellent EVF even if refresh rate does go way below 30fps. Even in low light, you still get that sharp "shimmer" when you know something is in focus.

No doubt the VF2 will help during sunny days, but in the mean time before I get one, is there a way to increase backlight of the LCD?

My second question is for those who have VF2: How is low light manual focusing? While the resolution is excellent, do the blue lines and noise still appear? If so, is it as abundant as the LCD?

Thank you!