E-PL1 some questions

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by 369, Mar 29, 2010.

1. 369

369 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 10, 2010
    Hi all,

I am thinking of buying the E-pl1. I plan to use it for social events but instead of a P&S I am thinking that this is a good size (smaller than dslr). I want to know if my wife wants to use this camera will she be able to get good images out of the camera with the auto or P mode. I would also like to know how good is the kit lens that comes with it, will it be able to do low light with high iso, without flash. I have been reading and people here are pretty happy with the panasonic 20mm pancake but, its pricey and it will be some time before I can buy that lens.

I need to convince (justify the cost) my wife that this camera will be good for travel, social events and family. She thinks we should get a P&S like the sony HX5 or even the panasonic ZS3, but I know that with those cameras there are limitations and IQ issues. For me I want to be able to learn and grow with the camera, for my wife she wants to switch it on, put it in auto, does want to fiddle with setting just put it in auto and be able to take pics.

So is this a good choice with the kit lens for atleast a year before I can get the pancake.

2. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    The iAUTO mode on the E-PL1 is superb imho... your wife will be able to rotate the mode dial to iAUTO, point and shoot with confidence.

Cheers

Brian

3. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

Interesting idea - might sell the wife's pana TZ5 for an E-PL1 with flash.

4. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Bill, the E-PL1 makes a perfect backup (in some aspects an advance) to the E-P2... just don't get too upset when your wife's images come out better on iAUTO than your carefully crafted E-P2 shots :biggrin: trust me, I've been there! :rofl:

Cheers

Brian

5. 369

369 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 10, 2010
    Thanks for the reply, for anyone in the USA the E-PL1 is now available at BestBuy.
    I went to bestbuy an hour ago and was surprised to see the e-pl1 tucked away in the glass box under where they display the DSLR.

I was also surprised that the sales rep at bestbuy did not know what kind of camera it was and started aking me questions. I too have limited knowledge but I was glad to provide him with some info. He nice and took it out so I test drove it. I really liked it, since there was no memory card I could not test the video, but everything else looked fine. I was still overwhelmed by the camera, since I have never used anything else other than a P&S.

I tested the art filters and really loved it, I also put it in auto and tested some shots which came out very good. I then put it in scene mode and selected the portrait option and took pic of the sales guy and was very happy to see the shallow depth of field and how it blurred the background.

One thing I could not figure out was the live view where you can blur the background or change the sharpness etc. Oh well I hope I can get this camera soon.

• Like Like x 1
  6. john1027

john1027 Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 5, 2010
    Alexandria, VA USA
    I let my 12 year old son use mine around the yard this weekend. He has a decent working knowledge of cameras but nothing extensive. I hate to admit it, but several of his shots using the auto settings and art filters are as good or better than what I have take with it so far using various manual settings.

7. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

369. I don't think the sales folks at Best Buy are really camera folks, unless they just happened to be. I don't know where you live, but there are certain private stores that offer real, hands on knowledge and can be very helpful. I realize that these real camera stores aren't available everywhere, but sometimes they will even help you out on the phone.

In addition, some of the options for the menus have to be "turned on" or access within the camera itself... It's possible that not all the options for Live View had been set up. My suggestion is to ask some more specific questions, in the Olympus Camera forum. We're all hoping that Brian Mosely will do some of his most excellent videos for this camera soon.:biggrin:

8. 369

369 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 10, 2010
    I just think that not keeping the E-PL1 on display is a big mistake. If the general public can't see, touch and feel the camera they will never buy it, they won't even know that such a camera exists.
    I will definitely ask questions in the Olympus forum.

• Like Like x 1
  9. BBW

Yup, you're right. I don't think Best Buy is too swift about these things...and/or they don't think their buyers will go for it? Who knows. Glad you checked it out!

10. tpitch14

tpitch14 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 31, 2010
    PA
    I'm actually going to swing by my local BB to see if I can check one out in person today, haven't had the chance to do so yet... we'll see if they have it on display...

11. BBW

I think you've posted that you're in the decision making stages...so having already read about the camera and knowing how it functions will be a big plus when you see it up close and personal. Promise to report back, tpitch14! :wink:

12. tpitch14

tpitch14 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 31, 2010
    PA
    BB- yup, definitely read about both the PL1 and GF1 as much as possible! Had a little face time with the GF1, but none yet with the PL1-- hence the trip :wink: I'll be sure to post my initial thoughts as I approach a decision. [end thread jack]

• Like Like x 1
  13. LisaO

LisaO Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 18, 2010
    New York Metro Area
    Lisa
    I think the reason they have them locked in a case at best buy is that they just got them in and haven't had time to get them in their lockdown setup. I actually got mine at best buy, I had $50 in rewards coupons so it was cheaper than anywhere else (and black which was hard to find).

You can check stock at best buy by finding it in their online store and then checking availability by location.

• Like Like x 1
  14. tpitch14

tpitch14 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 31, 2010
    PA
    Update: Visited my local Best Buy tonight, PL1 wasn't on display, but there were 3 locked in the case below the Canon high-end P&S's. I asked the 'salesman' when they would be on display, he said "Next month they'll be out with the DSLR equipment" and then promptly told me "that one'll be $799.99"... :laugh1:

So anyway, guess I'll have to wait a bit, or visit a Ritz Camera (think they have them available to examine also)