E-PL1 slow in save picture to SD card

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by table2011, Sep 12, 2011.

1. table2011

table2011 New to Mu-43

Sep 6, 2011
    Hi.,
    Anyone notice if E-PL1 slow in save picture to SD card?
    So everytime take picture (example in Auto mode), the card icon(on top left) appear about 0.5 - 1.5 sec.
    Is it normal?
    SD card I use is sandisk cl4 8GB
    is use cl6 or c10 sd card improve the recording speed?

I just bought new E-PL1 :)

2. Kees

Kees Mu-43 Regular

Jun 30, 2011
    The Netherlands
    Kees Dignum
    It's a slow card, a class 10 card will be much better.

3. Kees

Kees Mu-43 Regular

Jun 30, 2011
    The Netherlands
    Kees Dignum
    Oh, and congratulations on your new camera!
    My wife has an E-PL1 as a pocketable camera and she makes superb pictures with it.

4. SCT

SCT Mu-43 Regular

Mar 8, 2011
    Landover, MD, USA
    The longer the exposure, the longer it takes to save for me. Other camera settings play a role as well. It annoys me when I use long exposures and have to wait for it to finish. Especially 60 seconds, which takes just as long. I have a PNY Optima SDHC 8GB Class 4 as well. I will be upgrading to a Class 10 as well.

Here's a link, someone requested a suggestion for a memory card, for the EPL1, as well. Class 10!
    https://www.mu-43.com/f51/e-pl1-purchased-memory-card-recommendation-15002/

5. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    When your exposure is 1 sec. or longer the camera makes another same length exposure with the shutter closed. It uses the second to subtract noise from the first. You can turn this off but your long exposures will be noisier.

6. SNTP

SNTP Mu-43 Regular

Sep 7, 2011
    I use a class 10 SDHC card, and I'm not sure I know what you guys are talking about. even my long exposures don't take that long to save. The only time it takes a while to save is when I overrun the buffer after taking lots of burst shots. I also only shoot raw, so I'm not sure if that's making the big difference. I'd say just get a good class10 SDHC and you'll be set. I use a Class 10 SDHC 32 Gig Patriot LX Series.
    Newegg.com - Patriot LX 32GB Secure Digital High-Capacity (SDHC) Flash Card Model PSF32GSDHC10
    It's only $35 after rebate, so it's a pretty good price considering what you're getting. I choose large cards because i shoot raw and record video at 720p on the EPL1. And as you know... those video files are massive.

7. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    If you're coming from a DSLR, then the write performance will be slow in comparison...regardless of card type. (i.e. put the same card in the PEN & put the same card in a DSLR and there will still be a difference in write speed)

8. Rianmadrid12

Rianmadrid12 New to Mu-43

Sep 13, 2011
    Just over seven months after announcing the Olympus E-P1 Digital Pen, and three months after announcing the E-P2, Olympus unveiled the first consumer model in their rapidly expanding Micro Four Thirds digital camera line. Dubbed the Olympus E-PL1, the new model leans more modern in design, moving away from its predecessors' retro designs.

The Olympus E-PL1's basic specs are quite similar to the P2, with a few omissions and a few additions to make the camera better suited for the consumer market. First, the Olympus E-PL1 has the same excellent 12-megapixel LiveMOS sensor and the same TruePic V image processor, a combo we found quite compelling on the previous models. Two kits are available -- either body-only, or with a less expensive version of the collapsible 14-42mm zoom lens, featuring a polycarbonate mount instead of metal. Most menu items are the same, although some of the menu layout has been restructured, but the physical user interface and body design are noticeably different.

New to the line is the one common element left out of previous Digital Pen cameras: a pop-up flash. Another addition is the dedicated Record button to activate movie recording in any mode. Place the Olympus E-PL1 into iAuto mode, and you can also activate the camera's new Live Guide mode, designed to make complex decisions about image quality as easy as moving an onscreen slider.:smile:

9. ZephyrZ33

ZephyrZ33 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern California
    Had the same issue with a random class 4 sd card when i first got the e-pl1. Picked up a sandisk extreme class 10 4gb. No problems.