E-PL1 Screen Protector

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by scantron, May 23, 2010.

1. scantron

scantron Mu-43 Regular

May 10, 2010
    I'm a klutz, I'm going to need a screen protector for my E-PL1. I see plenty for the P1/P2, but not a lot for the PL1.
    Which ones are good? Which ones are practically the same as leaving on the factory film on the screen?

2. tpitch14

tpitch14 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 31, 2010
    PA
    I ordered one for the e-520 from Zagg and trimmed to fit. Good to go. :smile:

• Like Like x 4
  3. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus Subscribing Member Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    1+ for the Zagg.
    I have them on all my cameras etc. The thing is...
    On my Pen 1&2....they were kinda beat...so, I sent them back to Zagg and for the cost of shipping, got 2 new ones in about a week. They will replace them for LIFE...
    The best out there....
    I put those glass covers on but will take them off because dust gets in there between the screen and the cover.....that sucks...

• Like Like x 4
  4. scantron

scantron Mu-43 Regular

May 10, 2010
    Thanks for the recommendations, I'll check them out. The glass ones sound appealing but I bring my camera in my backpack every day- so I'd imagine that dust would get in there pretty quick.
    Has anyone badly scratched their unprotected screen?

5. Streetshooter

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    No scratches on the real screen but the glass cover has some.
    I'm putting my Zaggs back on today...

6. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

I've used GGS glass screens (about $10) but might try the Zagg next. You need a 2.7" screen from memory so pick an Oly with that size screen and buy that one if you can't find the E-Pl1 listed.

• Like Like x 2
  7. tpitch14

tpitch14 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 31, 2010
    PA
    I can tell you from first-hand experience that they don't have a precision-cut screen for the E-PL1. I emailed them inquiring about it also, and customer support stated that they "had no plans in releasing one"-- take that for what it's worth of course.

I can also tell you that the E-XXX 2.7 will NOT fit directly on the E-PL1, I had to trim mine down a bit to remove some overlap...:smile:

8. Streetshooter

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    It took a few months before they cut the Pen 1 screen but the did.
    I'm sure they will in time for the PL1.

9. tpitch14

tpitch14 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 31, 2010
    PA
    Yeah, I'm sure they will too. That's what you get with first level support. I know through experiences buying them for cell phones that you have to wait a bit for them to catch up, but eventually it will come. I just wanted to protect my screen right away :thumbup:

10. john1027

john1027 Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 5, 2010
    Alexandria, VA USA
    Martin Fields has one on their site that is specifically for the E-PL1. I cannot offer an opinion on this particular model as I have not purchase one yet. I have used Martin Fields in the past on various smart-phones and cameras I have owned and they were always excellent. There is a drop down menu at the top of the screen to change countries. The link below is for the US store.

http://www.martinfields.com/US/MFOP-OlympusPenEPL1

They also offer models for the E-P1 & 2.

http://www.martinfields.com/US/MFOP-OlympusPenEP1

• Like Like x 2
  11. john1027

john1027 Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 5, 2010
    Alexandria, VA USA
    Just wanted to follow up on my last post about the Martin Fields...

I did order one which was shipped quickly from Hong Kong. They are still high quality and the cut & size was perfect for the E-PL1, and everything considered, I think reasonably priced.

• Like Like x 6
  12. jujube

jujube New to Mu-43

Jun 11, 2010
    Hi all,

I was shocked :eek: when I realized that the E-PL1 screen is the actual LCD screen ...the canon G9 I used to own had a "glass" LCD screen protector so the real LCD screen was never exposed. I thought that the E-PL1 would have something similar (then again, the G9 also had a metal body :biggrin:)

Though a zagg or similar will protect the screen from scratches and fingerprints, it won't protect it from pressure/puncture...and those LCD screen are quite thin and sensitive to pressure...soooo....I ordered an acmaxx protector, for peace of mind...it looks and feels like a durable, quality product and is very clear and resistant to scratches and dirt. It is also not touching the screen, so there's no transfer or pressure at all, in case of an "accident".

The main disappointment is that it does not exactly fit the screen "recess" of the E-PL1, so it is not flush with the camera body...I also am not thrilled with the nickel finish around the screen, it's somewhat distracting...
    Still, one less thing to worry about :)