E-PL1 samples

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by soundimageplus, Feb 9, 2010.

1. soundimageplus

soundimageplus Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 2, 2010
    E-PL1 samples gallery up at dPreview.

I was interested to see if the weaker AA filter that dPreview mentioned made the images look any different. It seems they don't. They look like "standard" m4/3 files to me. i.e. very nice
  2. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    The samples are amongst the best I've seen dpreview produce in a long time... must be the iEnhance function.

This, despite the fact they used relatively weak glass. I want to see it perform with the 50mm f2 and 20mm f1.7 - to see what the sensor is capable of with HG glass.

3. dcisive

dcisive Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 19, 2010
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    I agree with you Brian, and I'm quite sure it is due MORE to the weaker AA filter used on the new cam. It will likely provide sharper and higher resolution pix than ALL the other Oly models. They should have done it from the beginning, but as usual it's live and learn.:tongue:
  4. alc217

alc217 New to Mu-43

Is it fair to assume that the AA filter is a software (i.e. firmware) issue, rather than a hardware issue? If so, maybe there can be an option in the future to turn AA on/off (i.e. normal on the E-P1/2 versus weaker).
  5. cosinaphile

cosinaphile Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
    the output in terms of noise seems better than my ep1 , the epL1 at 3200 for instance has no banding , but mine does and at lower isos less noise too
  6. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    No, the AA filter is hardware - a special glass filter placed over the sensor.

I've read that the Truepic V (and possibly V+ if used in the E-PL1) does additional filtering in software, to reduce moire artifacts... which has led to a further weakening of the AA filter for the E-PL1

• Like Like x 1
  7. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    I actually thought there were a couple of photos with images that either looked very soft or were blurred, particularly the one with the pink flowers. The portrait photo of the lady with the old school large format camera looks really sharp though.
  8. Brian S

Brian S Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 11, 2009
    She has a Yashica TLR. No built in meter. Lens sn 662869, probably a Yashica "D".

Looks pretty good to me...