E-PL1 samples

Brian Mosley

Administrator Emeritus
The samples are amongst the best I've seen dpreview produce in a long time... must be the iEnhance function.

This, despite the fact they used relatively weak glass. I want to see it perform with the 50mm f2 and 20mm f1.7 - to see what the sensor is capable of with HG glass.

Cheers

Brian

dcisive

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Lee
I agree with you Brian, and I'm quite sure it is due MORE to the weaker AA filter used on the new cam. It will likely provide sharper and higher resolution pix than ALL the other Oly models. They should have done it from the beginning, but as usual it's live and learn.:tongue:

alc217

New to Mu-43
I agree with you Brian, and I'm quite sure it is due MORE to the weaker AA filter used on the new cam. It will likely provide sharper and higher resolution pix than ALL the other Oly models. They should have done it from the beginning, but as usual it's live and learn.:tongue:
Is it fair to assume that the AA filter is a software (i.e. firmware) issue, rather than a hardware issue? If so, maybe there can be an option in the future to turn AA on/off (i.e. normal on the E-P1/2 versus weaker).

cosinaphile

Mu-43 All-Pro
the output in terms of noise seems better than my ep1 , the epL1 at 3200 for instance has no banding , but mine does and at lower isos less noise too

Brian Mosley

Administrator Emeritus
Is it fair to assume that the AA filter is a software (i.e. firmware) issue, rather than a hardware issue? If so, maybe there can be an option in the future to turn AA on/off (i.e. normal on the E-P1/2 versus weaker).
No, the AA filter is hardware - a special glass filter placed over the sensor.

I've read that the Truepic V (and possibly V+ if used in the E-PL1) does additional filtering in software, to reduce moire artifacts... which has led to a further weakening of the AA filter for the E-PL1

Cheers

Brian

Armanius

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Muttley
I actually thought there were a couple of photos with images that either looked very soft or were blurred, particularly the one with the pink flowers. The portrait photo of the lady with the old school large format camera looks really sharp though.

Brian S

Mu-43 Top Veteran
She has a Yashica TLR. No built in meter. Lens sn 662869, probably a Yashica "D".

Looks pretty good to me...

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom