E-PL1 purchased - memory card recommendation?

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by winrow3745, Aug 8, 2011.

1. winrow3745

winrow3745 Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 26, 2011
    Hello All,

Well, with help from this forum I finally took the plunge and bought the Olympus E-PL1.
    Now I need a memory card and I just wondered whether anybody has any recommendations?
    I'd normally just go ahead and buy one that matches the recommended type but after getting one for my HTC Desire, which seems to have a few performance issues with the one I bought, I just thought I'd ask to see if there are any particular makes/types that seem to be the best.

Cheers All,

Andrew.

2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Lexar and Sandisk are pretty good, as are Panasonic or other OEM brands. Kingstons are the worst in my experience, as they will take forever to be read and recognized by devices and computers. Duracell sells some cheap cards, which I've never had a problem with.

If you're doing video you should be using at least Class 6. Class 4 works fine for stills, but anything slower will actually show the write icon when taking photos. Of course, Class 10 is the best. ;)

3. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I have been using Transcend Class 10 cards for the last several months after going through a few SanDisk failures (although I still think SanDisk is a premium card). They have been very reliable thus far and they're quite inexpensive.

4. drizek

drizek Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 5, 2011
    I use Sandisk Extreme III cards. They do 20MB/s and are shock/water-proof to some degree. I have 6 of them and they all work fine after several years.

5. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    IMHO, one is not the right number.

Years ago I returned from an 8 week project on which, among other things, I was the photographer. I turned in about 1000 frames of Ektachrome to a top-drawer professional processing lab. Long story short, their E-6 processor had a bad day and about 80% of my take was ruined. Since then I have never put all my eggs in one basket.

First it was that both exposed and unexposed film was split up and carried in several different places, sometimes by different people. Exposed film was never again all processed by the same lab on the same day.

Now it is multiple small memory cards (2GB), again carried in different places. While traveling, I change cards at least once a day so that each card has an assortment of the trip pictures. Then if the camera is stolen, one of the cards is lost, or one of the cards fails, I have not lost my whole take.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    This. Cards fail, they fail often, and they fail badly. You're better off picking up a couple mid size, mid range cards.

7. winrow3745

winrow3745 Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 26, 2011
    OK with that in mind I've purchased a Transcend 8GB SD Card (SDHC) - Class 10.
    I thought that it would be better to make sure it is a good performing card and I will make sure that I save the pictures off regularly.
    Now off to investigate a pancake lens....

8. leonberdi

leonberdi Mu-43 Regular

Apr 15, 2011
    Montreal
    That should take you about 5 minutes... max! :)

9. misctwo

misctwo New to Mu-43

Aug 27, 2011
    lol..

10. SNTP

SNTP Mu-43 Regular

Sep 7, 2011
    You know... until you guys had mentioned that, i had not thought about that scenario. I have yet to have a memory card fail on me in about 10 years of picture-taking. I've had multiple types too, XD cards on the old olympus compacts, SD, Micro SD, Mini SD, SDHC, Memory Sticks, Compact Flash etc...
    The idea of losing one's camera though... Although it hasn't happened to me yet, it's very possible depending on where you go and how absent-minded you are. Definitely food for thought.

11. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    There are those who have, and those who will. :)

12. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I've always used PNY... never had problems.

13. agwe

agwe Mu-43 Regular

Jul 13, 2011
    Manila, Philippines
    I have a 4 year old Sandisk Extreme III that I used with an Ixus, then a D40 and D80. Now its still working fine on my GF1. Never had any problems which is what led me to get 2 more Sandisks.

my HTC Desire sent this

14. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    If you go look at professionals, you will overwhelmingly find that they use either Lexar or Sandisk. They use Sandisk more, but it's brand recognition as much as anything else; Lexar is certainly no worse. I've had good luck with Toshiba, Kingston, and PNY, but you see them less often. You will also find that most Best Buy shoppers try to buy the single biggest card that they can find, while more serious and seasoned users spread their photos among multiple smaller cards. The current deals I've found are if you buy two cards, you get a great deal. Here's what I've found so far, I'm actually about to pull the trigger. As you can see you get a price break per gigabyte if you buy dual 16gb or 32gb cards, but I don't know if I really need that . . .

Two Lexar 8GB cards, $40
    LSD8GBCRBNA1332 Lexar 8GB, 133x High Speed Series, Professional Secure Digital High Capacity (SDHC) Memory Card - Pack of 2 Cards

Two Sandisk 8GB cards, $40 but comes with free case
    BeachCamera.com - Sandisk 8 GB Extreme Secure Digital HC Memory Card 2 Pack + Bonus Memory card wallet

Sandisk deals from B&H. 8GB for $23, or a two-pack for $40.
    SanDisk 8 GB Extreme SDHC Class 10 Memory Card SDSDRX3-8192-A21
    SanDisk 8 GB Extreme SDHC Class 10 Memory Card Kit B&H Photo

Two-pack of 16Gb cards for $60. This is the best price/gigabyte value I see. $30 for a 16GB Extreme card. I can't believe pro-grade memory is this cheap:
    SanDisk 16 GB Extreme SDHC Class 10 Memory Card Kit B&H Photo
    IDSSD16GE32 SanDisk 16GB, Extreme Secure Digital High Capacity (SDHC) Memory Card. Pack of 2 Cards

And, if you are planning on really doing a ton of videography, pick yourself up some of these to give yourself some breathing room. 32GB, two pack for $110. Actually, it seems like a slightly better deal than the twin 16GB cards, you get a $10 price break.
    SanDisk 32GB Extreme SDHC Memory Card Two SDSDX3-032G-A31-2 B&H
    Recommendations for SanDisk 32GB, Class 10 Extreme Secure Digital High Capacity (SDHC) Memory Card, 30mb/sec - Pack of 2

• Like Like x 1