1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

E-PL1 problem with metering

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by pake, Apr 6, 2011.

1. pake

pake Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 14, 2010
    Finland
    Teemu
    I was travelling last week (in Rome and Milan) and during my trip I noticed an annoying problem that didn't exist before. Sometimes when I press the shutter button to halfway (to auto focus etc.) the LCD display shows (more like flashes) 1/2 of the picture strongly overexposed. This seems to happen when I have a darker object in the "focus box" and the overexposing affects only the brighter areas of the picture.

As I only came back home yesterday I haven't had the time to check how the pictures turned out... But at least they looked entirely normal in the camera's display after taking the picture I can only assume that this "overexposing" occurs only in the "live view" just BEFORE taking the actual picture and doesn't affect the picture itself.

Has anyone experienced this or read about it anywhere? Ideas/comments? All I can think of is that something has broken in camera since this can’t be normal (or because I’ve accidentally changed a wrong setting…). I bought the camera less than a year ago so the warranty should cover the repair if it comes to that...

I've adjusted the exposure compensation to -0.3 ages ago and I checked my camera settings and couldn't find anything odd anywhere. I think I have the "Digital ESP metering"-mode selected as default.

I will try to record a video of this problem with my IXUS 60 today but I'm not too confident that my IXUS can record it accurately though.

2. ill_dawg

ill_dawg Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2010
    are you sure it's not the aperture just opening up for focusing?

3. pake

pake Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 14, 2010
    Finland
    Teemu
    Yes. I've taken ~4000 pictures with the camera and I'm 100% sure this "phenomenon" started only a few days ago.

4. Howi

Howi Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 23, 2011
    Sheffield
    Howard
    sounds as though you have set 'Blinkies' on - shows areas that are blown (overexposed), have you set metering to spot? if you were metering something dark, it would overexpose the sky etc.....

5. pake

pake Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 14, 2010
    Finland
    Teemu
    Gotta check 'em (again) when I get back home from work... Thanks.

6. pake

pake Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 14, 2010
    Finland
    Teemu
    Nope, "Digital ESP" was selected - as it should have been too.

I took a few videos with my IXUS and unfortunately their quality isn't what I hoped for... But I think the phenomenon is still noticeable enough.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3944282/example1.avi
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3944282/example2.avi

The second video shows more clearly how overexposed the picture gets in the first two focuses/meterings.

ps. For some reason my Firefox crashes when I click the links. Hopefully it's just me... But if so at least Windows Media Player plays the videos when copy-pasted the link there.