E-PL1 Pen with Panasonic lens compatibility

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by vann, Jun 17, 2012.

1. vann

vann New to Mu-43

Jun 17, 2012
    Sorry for the newbie question, I'm not fully clear if all Micro Four Thirds Lens are fully interchangeable between Olympus and Panasonic 4/3 cameras.
    I have been told that Oly has in-body OIS and Panny uses in-lens OIS. So I'll need to switch off EITHER the in-camera IS of the Oly, or the OIS of the lens.

I would like to know if Olympus PEN E-PL1 can work with Panasonic Lumix 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 G Vario Aspherical MEGA OIS Lens for Micro Four Thirds, while retaining all the newbie "point and shoot" features like auto-focus.
    Have anybody successfully used this combo, PEN E-PL1 & Lumix 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 ?

I am asking because I can get a really nice deal for this combo and it seems like a nice, compact and cheap solution for video recording and beginner photography.
  2. Jorg.S

Jorg.S Mu-43 Regular

Yes it can, all micro 4/3 lenses are fully interchangeable within all bodies from both manufacturers.
  3. vann

vann New to Mu-43

Jun 17, 2012

If anybody have successfully used this (or similar) combo, I would like to hear some experiences.
  4. vann

vann New to Mu-43

Jun 17, 2012
    And this is all while retaining all the newbie "point and shoot" features like auto-focus, right?

Apologies for asking something that is probably obvious, I just want to clear up those things.
  5. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    All the features you'll need to operate in Auto mode are built into the camera body; the lens focuses based on communication with the camera. You should be good to go!

By the way, as you progress, I think you'll find out that auto-focus is not a "newbie"feature but rather the preferred method of operating the camera with lenses specifically built for μ4/3!
  6. Markb

Markb Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 9, 2011
    Kent, UK
    I've briefly used a Panasonic 14-42mm on an E-P1. It works like any other lens on that body.
    The 14-42mm lens' OIS does not work on any Olympus bodies as the lens has no switch to activate it and it is off by default. The Olympus body's IBIS works with this lens.

:43: is a standard. All Olympus and Panasonic lenses and bodies can be used interchangeably. I have three Panasonic and three Olympus lenses and swap them happily between an Olympus E-P1 and a Panasonic G3.
  7. EP1-GF1

EP1-GF1 Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 12, 2011
    I'll just add that Olympus IBIS only works for pictures, not video. And since you can't activate the OIS on the lens you will have no true image stabilisation for video. I think the E-PL1 has software stabilisation for video but if it's anything like the E-P3 it's not good.
  8. vann

vann New to Mu-43

Jun 17, 2012
    Thanks for the replies everybody.
  9. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    While everyone says everything is compatible, there are subtle, but important things you need to know. Like the Pany 20mm f1.7 prime lens is slow and noisy to focus, even on the latest Oly's. And whereas the first generation Oly 14-42 zoom is rather slow and noisy to focus, generation II and III are fast and silent. I don't know anything about the Pany 14-42, unfortunately.