1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

E-PL1: optional viewfinder or microphone for video?

Discussion in 'Filmmaking' started by Rider, Oct 14, 2010.

1. Rider

Rider Mu-43 Regular

Oct 14, 2010
    Since you can't use both a choice has to be made.

I'm thinking to get the optional viewfinder, and then record the sound with an external recorder.

What would you do?

2. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

Pretty sure the E-PL1 is mono sound so external stereo recorder would make sense and give better sound. Unless you have a 'silent' lens the AF of most lenses is very audible.

The VF-2 is very useful for still photos too.

3. PeterB666

PeterB666 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 14, 2010
    Tura Beach, Australia
    Peter
    Built in microphones are crap and plugging in an external microphne will help enourmously.

As for recording externally, not done that sort of thing since cine camera days - is there any way of locking sync to an external recorder? You will have a lot of "fun" if there isn't.

4. Rider

Rider Mu-43 Regular

Oct 14, 2010
    The external mic definitely helps for video, but so does the viewfinder. Holding the camera up to your face gives stability. I'm actually kind of miffed that I can't do both at the same time. Which is why I was thinking of getting the best of both worlds and recording the audio on a separate recording device and then synchronizing with the video. To do that, you have to have good audio from the camera to be able to match to the external audio, and it could be time consuming.

There are software programs that will help with synchronizing.

5. PeterB666

PeterB666 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 14, 2010
    Tura Beach, Australia
    Peter
    If you want stability, use a tripod. That way you also get the external mic.

Another option is to use a Hoodman Loupe if you want to hold the camera to your face.

6. shoturtle

shoturtle  

Oct 15, 2010
    If you mainly brought the camera for photos, the vf2 would make more sense. If video is the big requirement then the external mic makes sense.

7. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

A tip picked up in another post is to use a sharp noise just before filming starts that is recorded on the internal and external audio. Makes syncing easier. In movies they use a clapper board (although this is probably electronic now).

8. Rider

Rider Mu-43 Regular

Oct 14, 2010
    Did not like the SEMA-1 external mic

I tried the external mic. When mounted on the hot shoe, it was worse than the internal mic because it magnified the sound of focussing, even with manual focus of kit lens. When taken off the camera, it was ok but not great and not worth the hassle or the cost, or having to give up the viewfinder. I'll be sending it back and looking into an external recorder and learning how to sync when it's really important.

On the positive side, this makes the choice between the mic and the viewfinder a lot easier!

9. Rider

Rider Mu-43 Regular

Oct 14, 2010
    I tried the viewfinder. I found it not as as useful for video as I hoped. First you can't magnify the image while recording the video. This is whether using the LCD or VF-2. But with the LCD, a magnifying loupe will help a little. Second, you can't switch between the LCD and the VF-2 while recording. This is something I'd want to do while the camera is on a tripod. I still like the VF-2 a lot for photos.