1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

E-PL1, OM2, a bunch of lenses and a lovely little story :D

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by cmercer, Mar 17, 2011.

1. cmercer

cmercer Mu-43 Regular

Hello,

I have some lenses and I was hoping someone could tell me more about them. These are the lenses in question:

Olympus OMS 50mm 1:1.8 (I'm guessing the kit lens that would have come with the OM2?)

Bell & Howell 1:2.8 I have never heard of these before. This could be the Lamborghini of lenses and I wouldn't have a clue. I suspect its more like a Ford Capri... Is it a wide angle lens? It doesn't say much else other than its passed some kind of test :D

Its probably worth noting that on the body side of the lens the glass is really small? Although it produces similar images to the OM2 kit lens when mounted on the E-PL1. Although I suspect this is because of the giant ebay adapter? I seem to remember it being a wide angle lens when I looked through the OM2 viewfinder.

Sigma 80-200mm 1:3.5 - I struggle to focus with this at 200mm with the teleconverter fitted. Although I managed to take a pretty tidy picture of the moon earlier today!

A quick brief on how and why I have these lenses:
    I'm still quite new to photography, for those who haven't read my previous posts I have recently started a photography course. I am really enjoying it and learning fast (watch out pro's! :rofl:) I find photography is like a drug, the more I learn the more questions I have... so I'm sorry that I am throwing this question at you guys and I wont be offended if this is completely ignored or if someone wants to call me a fool. Its all part of the learning process...

My weapon of choice was originally an Olympus EP1, however this quickly developed a hot cell and so I sent it back. To my surprise the camera that returned was an E-PL1. At first I didn't like it... it didn't have the same retro styling as the EP1 with no brushed metal. Lets face it, half of the fun of owning a m43 is how cool they are. I do miss the EP1.

Its worth admitting I have now warmed to the modern beauty and simplicity of the E-PL1. I also really like what Olympus has managed to squeeze into the small simple package, its really quite an achievement! I find that back at college the PEN has many features that others with larger equipment don't. David and Goliath or what? One guy even snickered at it on the first day although all have been mesmerised by the pictures that it has produced. They especially liked this one which I made (I don't take!) for my shutter speed assignment:
    slowshutterexp | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Chris, you are ranting... how did you get the lenses...
    Several weeks after purchasing the PEN my girlfriend comes round and decides to give me my birthday present early... no, nothing rude (boo!) but an old Olympus OM2 with a collection of lenses, sky filters, optical close up and an original Olympus leather case. My jaw dropped :O

I took it to college the same day instead of the PEN and my tutor also seemed keen to have a play with the old Olympus. He said it was in fantastic condition and gave me a very quick OM2 history lesson, comparing it with Nikon's and Canons.

So I am very lucky! I have been having a great time with both my E-PL1 and now my new/old OM2. A few days after acquiring the OM2 it dawned on me that with an adapter, I could get all of these newly acquired lenses to fit the E-PL1! Interesting pictures, cheap solution to some extra lenses? I probably made the mistake of buying a cheap ebay adapter but I wanted to be sure that it would work before committing to anything else. The adapter is nearly as big as the standard PEN kit lens and I suspect that some of OMS lenses don't benefit from being so far away from the PENs sensor? Perhaps someone could back me up on this...

The OM2 <3

Thanks for taking the time to read my massive post and I hope you enjoyed my little story :rofl:

Chris

• Like Like x 1
  2. mauve

mauve Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2010
    Paris, France
    The 2n is a brilliant camera. Do yourself a favor, shoot some film with it in manual mode. See how instinctive it is to match the needle to get good exposure by varying aperture and / or shutter speed. Learn hyperfocal to replace your dependence on autofocus. Once this has become a second nature, (after a couple of decades :biggrin:) dust off the e-pl1.

Cheers,

• Like Like x 1
  3. ZephyrZ33

ZephyrZ33 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern California
    Thanks for the great story Chris.

I inherited an OM-4 from my father as well. I've always had fond memories of the OM 35mm cameras. Something about the compact camera body and feel of the lenses.

It looks like you have a later model 50mm F1.8

This was pretty much a kit lens for most mid-to-late OM series so they're common and affordable (around 20 bucks) with a few variants.

If I can loosely recall:
    -Silvernose (silver brim early model)
    -Blacknose
    -Blacknose with "MC" for multi-coated and "Japan" on the front bezel
    -Blacknose with just "Made in Japan"....all lenses were multi-coated by then.

So it looks like you have the more desireable late model 50mm f1/8 "made in japan" lens. People claim that it's a tad sharper than the early production, but they're all great primes.

As a matter of fact, I'm picking up a cheap OM-10 today and a 50mm f1.8 MC to add to the collection. Pretty stoked.