E-PL1 Noise Problems

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by mspeicher, May 12, 2010.

1. mspeicher

mspeicher New to Mu-43

May 12, 2010
    I have been a GF1 user for about as long as one can be a GF1 user. That camera basically replaced my D90.

Recently, I purchased an E-PL1 with the 14-42 zoom to complement the GF1. While I am impressed with the jpeg output, I have found the noise levels (even at ISO 200) to be a bit disconcerting. Right now, I am not sure whether I am being overly picky or if I received a lemon or something else. The noise on the E-PL1 seems to be much more prominent than in the GF1.

I'd really appreciate it if someone could take a look at the following files and help me out. I could really use a 2nd pair of eyes. I have included shots taken at ISO 200 on the 14-42 and the 20mm. I use Lightroom 3 Beta 2 on a Mac.

P5090096.ORF

P5090100.ORF

P5110111.ORF

P5110147.ORF

2. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro Charter Member

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    Was going to look for you but I can't open E-PL1 ORFs, sorry.

3. dcisive

dcisive Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 19, 2010
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Lee
    I have to tell ya bud, I just examined your ORF files in "Irfanview" and they look SUPERB! NO noise at 100% viewing on the screen. The noise you are seeing must be generated by the program you're viewing it in. Please do this go to IrfanView - Official Homepage - one of the most popular viewers worldwide and download the free image viewing/adjustment program, and then also be sure to download and install the 2nd package which is their "PlugIn's package. Make sure to execute the program loading first, then without opening it load the plugin package. Then open the program and open your files. I bet you'll be shocked at what you see. I am using Irfanview currently to open and lightly modify the ORF files. I've found in Irfanview they are 95% of the way there. I like to resize/resample to 80% of the original file size, and give it ONE hit of this programs sharpening and it's just superb as a 13x19 print. Check it out. I think you'll be surprised. This little free program is worth it's weight in gold.:whoo:

4. e-pl1

e-pl1 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 21, 2010
    Superb images, 100% sharp

check this JPEG (little PP - hope you like it)

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  5. Boyzo

Boyzo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2010
    Boy that pops :biggrin:

6. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator Moderator Subscribing Member Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    Is it possible that the OP is just looking at the raw?

7. dcisive

dcisive Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 19, 2010
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Lee
    I don't know why nobody wants to take me up on trying Irfanview....heck it's free for crying out loud. It's superb. Viewing a ORF is a virtual revelation. Near perfect.

8. cosinaphile

cosinaphile Mu-43 All-Pro Charter Member

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
    i downloaded and updated with plugin , then it saw the orf

looks like a sweet little program , tiny footprint too

ill use it to compliment elements , which cant see an orf

thanks

9. Robert Watcher

Robert Watcher Mu-43 Top Veteran

I have used Irfanview for probably 8 years. I use it for batch renaming or format changing - and as well it opens almost any format even my movie files.

I have to agree about the ORF images supplied above - I have no idea what the person who took the shots is noticing in the files as far as noise. I see nothing objectionable. I would have to go with "I am not sure whether I am being overly picky" over the camera being "a lemon or something else". If what is being seen, is something significantly different between the E-PL1 and the GF1 at 200ISO - it may be the smoothing algorthm setting being used on the GF1 that is applying more noise reduction. Or maybe simply processing of the RAW image in different ways. :smile:

-----

Actually a good way to find out if it is something with the way that you are processing your RAW files - is to process the RAW file as a JPEG - - - - IN-CAMERA. Then you can open that properly processed jpeg and compare the noise to see if there is still an issue.
    You can do that by clicking on the E-PL1 MENU button and go down to the "right facing arrow (PLAY) icon" which is the third one on the left side - then select "EDIT" and then "SEL. IMAGE". Find the RAW image that you want converted to a JPEG file and click the START/OK button on the cameras control pad. After a few seconds of processing, you will have both a RAW file and a processed JPEG file available in your camera.

----

10. Robert Watcher

Robert Watcher Mu-43 Top Veteran

I also carry a copy of IrfanView with me on my thumb drive (along with XAMP web server, Filezilla, Notepad++, Firefox, VLC Media Player and a host of other applications that I use regularly) - so that I have it available any time I need it - - - especially when on someone elses computer. Here is the app site that I use for these portable apps - Free Image Viewer – IrfanView | Portable USB Pen Drive Applications

---

• Like Like x 2
  11. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator Moderator Subscribing Member Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    Does it do batch scaling/sizing?

12. mspeicher

mspeicher New to Mu-43

May 12, 2010
    Must be a problem with Lightroom 3 Beta

You are right. Barely a hint of noise in Irfanview. Must be a problem with Lightroom [wipes sweat from brow]. I was able to clean it up a bit in Lightroom but it still didn't look as good as it did in Irfanview.

Thanks! I'll definitely be holding on to the camera.

13. dcisive

dcisive Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 19, 2010
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Lee
    I've had Irfanview on my computers since the late 90's. It has always provided itself as a fast and useful tool for opening files and quick editing. It's forte is batch resizing/resampling. I prefer his resampling to even Adobe's. And it is FAST and uses next to NO memory as well. Great for slideshows as well. About the ONLY thing I wish it had was highlight recovery :tongue: but you can't have it all. Also a larger review window for editing would be nice, but you can't be picky for free. I know that Olympus is supposed to be releasing a free uploadable program in May to take the place of all of it's prior software for processing and ORF processing as well. So Studio will be a dinosaur, which it is. A real slug. What surprises me the most is that when opening a ORF file in Irfanview it is near perfect right off the get go needing nearly NO processing at all. This is pretty amazing in itself. Not only does it speed up the process but sure does encourage one to shoot RAW as it is certainly NOT the least bit painful.

14. rssarma

rssarma Mu-43 Regular

Apr 1, 2010
    NYC
    Its Lightroom 3...

I've been using it on all my RAW files and the new sharpening algorithms in LR3 lead to noisier images than its predecessor. However, this is a good thing as the apparent detail is also very high, if the "grain" is objectionable to you, simply take the luminance slider to 15 for low ISO shots and 25 for high ISO and the noise cleans up nicely without loss in detail.