E-PL1, Nobody Told Me!

Don Baldwinson

Mu-43 Regular
About the superb shutter sound.
Not super quiet, but a very precise and contained click, much nicer than my E-3. It redeems somewhat the slight plastiky feel of some of the buttons, and overall a pleasure to shoot with.
Just a few notes that have been covered by lots before, but nothing like finding out for yourself. My first white body was a non-starter.....would not save an image and promptly turned itself off after firing the shutter. I did like the funky look of the white body even if, or perhaps because it looked like a bar of soap. Why would you take a little camera like this seriously? They could not source a white replacement, only black and stripey silver trim......erk.
Well, after a couple of hours playing, I'm starting to get to grips.
I found the interface very fast and intuitive, even non E-3 features easy to navigate.
I now belong in the camp which finds the speed acceptable, so far. In fact I hardly noticed it different from normal. Shot off a few reactive shots at a squadron of ducks over the park, S-AF and C-AF and wondered why people call it slow. I did notice the ZD50mmF2 a little slower inside in moderate light, but speed was not important then. Overall a pass mark.
The screen is acceptable and with the magnification button there is little excuse for failure. Using the clip-on finder, even less excuse.
The images from the standard 14-42 kit lens are as sharp as needs be, with just a tiny PP tickle.
The real reward for me is the pleasure of using my old PenFT manual lenses, 25mm, 40mm and 150mm. They all perform well on the E-PL1 and are like small jewels. The 25mm will be a wonderful walkabout lens. And CA is almost absent so far, unlike my OM lenses which light up like xmas trees.

A couple of samples from the 40mmF1.4-

Wide open F1.4. Amazing bokeh, never seen better. Very shallow DOF. Only the eye and black splotch are in focus.

11332381-lg.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Probably F2.8. (colour changed with changing sky)

11332380-lg.jpg

ZD150mmF2

11332379-lg.jpg

E-PL1, a pass mark from me.
Cheers,
Don

hmpws

Mu-43 Regular
Nice..! I am about to go out with my E-PL1 too...! Just a little off topic, do you find that the strap just happen to get in the way of your shutter finger? :eek:

Don Baldwinson

Mu-43 Regular
Nice..! I am about to go out with my E-PL1 too...! Just a little off topic, do you find that the strap just happen to get in the way of your shutter finger? :eek:
I will often be using large lenses, and I seem to be sometimes pressing buttons by mistake when manually focusing etc, especially the video button.
So as far as handling goes I'm not sure yet and I have not fitted the standard strap and probably won't. My own preference is for holding a camera by the lens with a Prostrap around my wrist in case I drop it, but looking at the little lugs I'm not sure about a heavy lens dropping and being stopped by one lug. I have a nice and sturdy Smugmug neck strap which I will try as well. I will have to look at this soon because the point you raise about the straps position is important.
Thanks,
Don

simonclivehughes

Mu-43 Regular
I will often be using large lenses, and I seem to be sometimes pressing buttons by mistake when manually focusing etc, especially the video button.

As much as I like my E-PL1, including the shutter sound, I hate it for this issue. I am constantly hitting buttons inadvertently!

Cheers,

Ray Sachs

Super Moderator
As much as I like my E-PL1, including the shutter sound, I hate it for this issue. I am constantly hitting buttons inadvertently!

Cheers,

Very easy to change the function of the FN and video buttons or disable them altogether. I was hitting the video button inadvertently so I moved the focus lock to that button from the shutter button - never a problem since.

-Ray

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom