E-PL1, Nobody Told Me!

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Don Baldwinson, Jul 26, 2010.

1. Don Baldwinson

Don Baldwinson Mu-43 Regular

Apr 2, 2010
    About the superb shutter sound.
    Not super quiet, but a very precise and contained click, much nicer than my E-3. It redeems somewhat the slight plastiky feel of some of the buttons, and overall a pleasure to shoot with.
    Just a few notes that have been covered by lots before, but nothing like finding out for yourself. My first white body was a non-starter.....would not save an image and promptly turned itself off after firing the shutter. I did like the funky look of the white body even if, or perhaps because it looked like a bar of soap. Why would you take a little camera like this seriously? They could not source a white replacement, only black and stripey silver trim......erk.
    Well, after a couple of hours playing, I'm starting to get to grips.
    I found the interface very fast and intuitive, even non E-3 features easy to navigate.
    I now belong in the camp which finds the speed acceptable, so far. In fact I hardly noticed it different from normal. Shot off a few reactive shots at a squadron of ducks over the park, S-AF and C-AF and wondered why people call it slow. I did notice the ZD50mmF2 a little slower inside in moderate light, but speed was not important then. Overall a pass mark.
    The screen is acceptable and with the magnification button there is little excuse for failure. Using the clip-on finder, even less excuse.
    The images from the standard 14-42 kit lens are as sharp as needs be, with just a tiny PP tickle.
    The real reward for me is the pleasure of using my old PenFT manual lenses, 25mm, 40mm and 150mm. They all perform well on the E-PL1 and are like small jewels. The 25mm will be a wonderful walkabout lens. And CA is almost absent so far, unlike my OM lenses which light up like xmas trees.

A couple of samples from the 40mmF1.4-

Wide open F1.4. Amazing bokeh, never seen better. Very shallow DOF. Only the eye and black splotch are in focus.

[​IMG]

Probably F2.8. (colour changed with changing sky)

[​IMG]

ZD150mmF2

[​IMG]

E-PL1, a pass mark from me.
    Cheers,
    Don

• Like Like x 6
  2. hmpws

hmpws Mu-43 Regular

Apr 24, 2010
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Nice..! I am about to go out with my E-PL1 too...! Just a little off topic, do you find that the strap just happen to get in the way of your shutter finger? :eek:

3. Don Baldwinson

Don Baldwinson Mu-43 Regular

Apr 2, 2010
    I will often be using large lenses, and I seem to be sometimes pressing buttons by mistake when manually focusing etc, especially the video button.
    So as far as handling goes I'm not sure yet and I have not fitted the standard strap and probably won't. My own preference is for holding a camera by the lens with a Prostrap around my wrist in case I drop it, but looking at the little lugs I'm not sure about a heavy lens dropping and being stopped by one lug. I have a nice and sturdy Smugmug neck strap which I will try as well. I will have to look at this soon because the point you raise about the straps position is important.
    Thanks,
    Don

• Like Like x 2
  4. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus Charter Member

Don, I'm glad to see you back and very glad to hear that you're enjoying your E-PL1. Please report back in with more of your photos, soon!

5. simonclivehughes

simonclivehughes Mu-43 Regular

May 9, 2010
    As much as I like my E-PL1, including the shutter sound, I hate it for this issue. I am constantly hitting buttons inadvertently!

Cheers,

6. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator Moderator Subscribing Member

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    Very easy to change the function of the FN and video buttons or disable them altogether. I was hitting the video button inadvertently so I moved the focus lock to that button from the shutter button - never a problem since.

-Ray

• Like Like x 4