E-PL1- my first serious camera in 30-odd years!

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by avidone, Jul 1, 2011.

1. avidone

avidone Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 24, 2011
    Rome, Italy
    well, folks, it finally arrived, no thanks to the slow service of Limal in Germany combined with the slow service of UPS in Italy

I got an E-PL1 with 14-42 kit lens as "like new" factory refurbished, won at 230 euro plus shipping. Took nearly 2 weeks to arrive but by now I am psyched. Also, in a few weeks a friend will arrive from the US with an M.Zuiko 17mm pancake found at a good price.

Please realize that the last time I had a serious camera (at least that was not attached to a microscope in the lab), it was a Pentax MX, and that was over 30 years ago, so...

Well, I have basically spent the whole day sprawled out across the bed with camera, accessories, and iPad with the user manual and the Dummies book, trying to learn the settings and taking really boring test shots to get used to everything and start to learn.

Really happy to have found this camera and to have found this group. Looking forward to getting back into some more serious photography

ciao for now
    • Like Like x 3
  2. NickLeon

NickLeon Mu-43 Regular

Oct 20, 2010
    Somerset UK
    I'll be interested to hear how you get on - I had a similar gap until I got into digital about four years ago.
  3. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Congrats! The E-PL1 is a great camera.

Olympus has stuffed a mountain-load of options in there though, so take your time, you're going to need it! :biggrin:
  4. Warren T.

Warren T. Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 10, 2010
    San Francisco
    Avidone, welcome! I can feel your excitement :). I look forward to seeing your future posts and photos online. --Warren
  5. avidone

Jun 24, 2011
    Rome, Italy
    Thanks for the encouragement guys. It will probably be awhile until I am able to show any pictures with any artistic value, but I am trying to learn what I can a bit at a time. I had already read through the Dummies guide a couple times while waiting for the camera to arrive, and after all the interface is reasonably intuitive (well, up to a point) but boy is there a ton of options.

I have been taking out the window and off the balcony shots In every boring direction from our flat in different lighting and with different sertings and otherwise irritating the cat by following him all over and trying to get him to look into the lens.

Planning to go for a bit of a mountain hike tomorrow so maybe I can start to have some better subject matter.
  6. Spuff

Spuff Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    Berkshire, UK.
    If you're using JPEGS make sure the JPEG quality is set to super fine. It's a bit buried in the menus if the option isn't in the OK button detailed menu.
  7. avidone

Jun 24, 2011
    Rome, Italy
    Thanks... Among the first things I did was enabling the superfine large setting in the menus then choosing it and I also at least for now have the chequerboard menu set to toggle to jpeg plus raw when needed... I have a fast 16 gB card swiped from a cheapo linux tablet I never use, so I have loads of space (and backup 4gig cards and a backup battery)
  8. avidone

Jun 24, 2011
    Rome, Italy
    That shoild have said the chequerboard button, though I know there is some other name for it
  9. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    The most helpful thing I did when I was getting started was turn on the Super Control Panel in the Control Settings. It makes it so much easier to quickly get the camera set up for shooting.

The most productive thing I learned was to take advantage of the Zoom Button when shooting with a manual focus lens.

Also, save up for an VF2 as it makes a world of difference.
  10. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Congrats on the EPL1!! It's a nice little camera! Hope to see lots of photos from it soon!
  11. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    It's nice camera, and it's a lot of fun to go shooting with the 17. Don't go nuts about the features at first. Make some choices for settings and go shoot jpegs just to enjoy the camera.
  12. Covey22

Covey22 Mu-43 Regular

May 3, 2011
    New England, USA
    Enjoy - another new E-PL1 owner like me! You will have a lot of fun with it!
  13. avidone

Jun 24, 2011
    Rome, Italy
    so today's trip up in the hills near home was the first day of trying out the new camera... I posted a few of my favourites to the landscape photos category, THIS post:

and of course if you follow my Flikr you can see more

constructive criticism is welcome, but please be kind as I was never SO artistic and I am re-starting photography after a 30-year hiatus... oh yeah, and then there is the 50-year old brain, which is not quite as quick as the 20-year old one back in my Pentax days
  14. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011