E-PL1 Meter Limits in Aperture Priority

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by ean10775, Feb 8, 2011.

1. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Using a manual focus lens I've noticed that when metering in Aperture Priority mode once I get past a certain f/stop, stopping down the lens any more doesn't seem to alter the metering - a single shutter speed just keeps flashing. I've looked through the manual regarding exposure warnings, but obviously it isn't going to speak to legacy lenses. It seems odd to me that if I want to shoot at f5.6 or f8 or whatever aperture in a dim environment the meter wouldn't be able to calculate the correct shutter speed past a certain point and short of the minimum shutter speed of the camera (full metering does seem to work in Manual, however, and the camera meters fine with the kit lens as one would expect it to). Am I doing something wrong or is this just a limitation with Aperture Priority and legacy lenses?

Edit: A quick test - It seems like the maximum metered shutter speeds in A mode with a manual lens attached are as follows based on selected ISO: ISO 100-1.3", ISO 200-1/1.3, ISO 400-1/2.5, ISO 800-1/5 and ISO 1600-1/10. This seems very strange to me. Does anyone else have this issue?
  2. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    That sounds about right. With legacy lenses, you are staving the sensor of light--m4/3 don't use the taking aperture until the exposure.
  3. MFT-Shooter

MFT-Shooter New to Mu-43

Jul 30, 2015
    Sorry for exhuming this thread. I found it with Google.

This week I got the old E-PL1 (Firmware v1.3) from my wife (she got a new Panasonic GX7) and I experienced the same issue with a Panasonic 20mm f/1.7 Pancake lens. Also with the Panasonic 12-35mm f/2.8 and the Olympus kit lens (!) 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 I can reproduce this behavior (values differ between lenses, aperture and ISO settings):

In aperture-priority mode the exposure time isn't increased enough in dark conditions. Instead both the aperture value und the exposure time value are flashing. The manual doesn't say that both values can flash at the same time in aperture-priority mode. This should be possible in program mode only.

Also here: in manual mode it works as expected and the metering value is shown correctly.

Greets from Switzerland. :drinks: