1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

E-PL1: makes sense?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by elandel, Feb 10, 2012.

1. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    Hi all,

I have a question. I think the Epl1 is a heck of a little camera and have the opportunity to get a new double zoom kit foe less tha 300 euros.
    I already had one but sold it for a K5 that I sold. Now I have a G3 and thinking this would be a great backup camera. I don't want E-mp1 or E-pl3.

What do you owners of the new epx lineup think?

2. McDark

McDark Mu-43 Regular

Oct 26, 2011
    Russia
    I'm having E-PL1 and G3 and still unsure which one's backup.

But I'd suggest getting 14-150 kit instead - its excellent, old E-PL1's short kit is not that good. Maybe you'll find no such great deal on it, but thats explainable

3. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    The E-PL1 was slow to operate and the 14-42mm lens that came with it was also a slow performer, and you'll want to upgrade it. The E-PL2 is noticeably better in all apsects, if you can find it. However, seeing as you have a G3, just take that $300 and spend it on lenses; it will improve your photography more than collecting camera bodies and intro-level lenses. Why would you not want an E-PL3? It is basically an E-PL2 with a tilt screen, and also is better in every way than the E-PL1.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Have you considered the E-PL2? It has everything the E-PL1 has and better. The E-PL1 is a great camera, but had some limitations and corners cut on it. The E-PL2 has a significantly larger LCD with double the screen resolution (an important aspect of a camera made for Live View!), an actual control dial, faster AF and response, twice the max shutter speed, remote compatibility, and a more stylish, sturdier build. It also comes with a better kit lens which has internal focus and is more solid, faster (for AF), smoother, and quieter. Yet the E-PL2 still retains all the good things about the E-PL1 such as sharp image quality, magnifier button, remote flash commander, large grip, etc.

5. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    This is just a guess, but since he mentioned both the new Lite and Mini he probably doesn't like the size and form factor of the new body... I love it, personally. :biggrin:

6. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    I have the 14-150 so I'll put it on the epl-1 if I get it and sell the 14-42 and 40-150.

I owned the epl2 and had no feeling with it and sold it. Also had the Ep2 which I loved but gave it to a relative who needed a camera so now I need to get a second body. I don't love the epl-3 and relative lineup so I don't question aboud IQ etc. of the new cameras, which are better, but not THAT better as I can see.

So my thinking is: I need/want a second body and don't want to spend much money because maybe at the end of this year I might consider an EP3 or OM-d E-M5 as my new camera.

I already have a complete lens lineup for my needs so the only thing I really need is a 9-18 that I'm waiting to buy if I find a real bargain.

My question is: is IQ all THAT better in new cameras?

7. McDark

McDark Mu-43 Regular

Oct 26, 2011
    Russia
    Not really. Only AWB is better for sure. But IBIS is more robust on older ones.

8. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Yes, that's what I was going to say as well. The only notable difference in Image Quality between the E-PL2, E-P3, E-PL3, and E-PM1 is the AWB in the latter 3 models. It is quite amazing how well it works however, unlike any other camera I've ever used. It seems to adjust for color like the human eye, but slower. After you turn OFF the default setting of "Keep Warm Colors", of course. ;)

9. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    If you didn't like the E-PL2, you would most definitely not like the E-PL1...

As McDark mentioned, the 14-42 that comes with the E-PL1 is not that good (build-quality-wise). So really the only benefit from the kit buy is the 40-200 that I assume is also bundled in. If that's the case better to buy it separately.

I liked the quality of my old E-PL1 but frankly got tired of its poor usability (no dials? Ugh). Sold it and am much happier with the E-P3.

10. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    White balance and exposure are the only difference in technical image quality. Focusing speed doesn't affect a camera's performance on a test chart, but it may make a difference if you're capturing a moment. If slow focus, slow operation, and lack of controls won't hinder you, then the E-PL1 has the same quality as any newer PEN. But, the E-PL1 is just an E-PL2 that was beaten in the head until it wasn't right, so if you didn't like the E-PL2, you really won't enjoy its handicapped sibling.

11. rex87

rex87 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 21, 2011
    winnipeg, mb
    Man, im using EPL-1 for 2yrs now and im still happy with..
    Old and slow..

12. mambastik

mambastik Mu-43 Regular

Jan 19, 2011
    Not sure if sarcastic.. but amen. Have the E-PL1 and love it, and it's gonna stick around with me for the next couple of years til I save up for the new OM-D series.

13. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    My thoughts exactly. :) Whether you like the E-PL1 is one thing, but it would be awful hard to like the E-PL1 and not like the E-PL2...

14. The only positive thing I have to say about this comment is that at least you've moved on from insulting people to insulting cameras. Progress, I guess.

15. applemint

applemint Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2012
    yes, but also cheap :biggrin:

16. applemint

applemint Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2012
    Don't know about Italy, but here the Ep2 body only is on offer at Park Cameras for £199 - which sounds like a bargain to me given that it sold for a whopping £769.00 when it was released here in 2010. If you loved the EP2 then it would make sense to get another one as your second body given the low price?
    Olympus E-P2 Black Body - Only £199.00 - Park Cameras Online

(Of course for an extra £50 you can get a current model E-PM1 but you have already said that is not what you want).

17. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    At least three camera review sites rate the IQ of the E-PL1 a smidgen sharper than any of the other Pens. So does one person on this forum than owns both a E-PL1 and E-PM1. Therefore if sharp IQ is your priority, the newer Pens will not top the E-PL1. However, you may miss some shots (as I occassionally have) due to the slow focusing of the kit lens that comes with the E-PL1.

18. applemint

applemint Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2012
    I think OP is intending to sell the 14-42mm mk 1 kit lens and use the 14-150mm they already own - in which case AF speed should be less of an issue? (From what I have heard/read the slow focus of the 14-42mm is less of an issue with the 14-150 (and perhaps with the 40-150 too?) although I have never used either of the latter two lenses on my E-Pl1 so I am sure someone will correct me if that is wrong?

Actually I would quite like to know what these 2 lenses are like on the E-PL1 as I have seen a few on ebay for good prices and am tempted to add the 40-150 to my collection if I can find a bargain.

19. Beady

Beady Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 10, 2012
    Trenton Ohio
    Wow my first micro 4/3 camera is the epl-1. I just ordered it and have not used it yet. I hope they are not that bad. I shoot Nikon stuff and ordered a lens mount adaptor. I wanted to get into m4/3 cheap and give it a try. Please don't tell me I made a big mistake. Does anybody like them?

20. applemint

applemint Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2012
    Yes, lots of people like them despite it's quirks. :) It's a great way to enter the micro 4/3 world on a budget. Look at the EPL1 reviews on amazon - almost all 4 and 5 star reviews or just browse through this and other forums and you will find plenty of happy EPL-1 owners. :biggrin:

Not sure what it's like for using other lenses with an adapter and manual focus though (I use a Nex for that purpose) as the lcd screen is quite small and low rez.