1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

E-PL1 magnified focus turned into digital zoom?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Fnx, Nov 4, 2011.

1. Fnx

Fnx New to Mu-43

Nov 4, 2011
    Hi everybody.. I have the E-PL1 and for zoom I use it with a 70-150mm OM adapted lens. I was wondering if there is a workaround to turn that 7X 10X 14X magnified focus into digital zoom? I know from the camera manual that is not possible, but..... :-D It would be great to have that zoom when you need it.

2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    No, that is not possible. You can crop it like that in post if you want, but you'll lose a lot of resolution.

Is it the OM Zuiko 75-150mm f/4 you have? That's a great lens... I like it alot.
    zuiko_75-150mm_web.

3. Fnx

Fnx New to Mu-43

Nov 4, 2011
    I thought it that way.. But would it be possible to implement this in a new firmware? I'm a newbie..
    I have the Vivitar 70-150/3.8.

4. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Panasonic has two types of digital zoom in their cameras, one that crops the original data and one that, I think, resamples it. Sure it could be done with a firmware update I'm sure, but honestly most Olympus users are not keen on digital zoom. Olympus is a more traditional camera and optics manufacturer than Panasonic.

5. Fnx

Fnx New to Mu-43

Nov 4, 2011
    I understand. Thank you.

6. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Your best bet to save your image quality is to get yourself a longer lens, like the Panasonic 100-300mm, which is 100% compatible with your camera (as are all m4/3 lenses, lens adapters, and flashes, regardless of whether they are Panasonic or Olympus). What you are asking is no different than taking a picture, printing it at 8"x10", and then cutting out a 1"x1.25" rectangle. It's called cropping. You can do this for free on your computer; either use the software that came with your camera, or download Google's Picasa for free, which is pretty impressive software for organizing and doing basic editing. Keep in mind that cropping your image down 90% means that you lose 90% of the resolution that your camera is capable of, and that you paid for. This is why different lenses exist.

7. Fnx

Fnx New to Mu-43

Nov 4, 2011
    Yes, I know about cropping. I thought there is a way to have a processed zoom, so that the quality won't be too badly lost. Seems like there isn't for Olympus.. Ned said that some Panasonic cameras have the ability to digitally zoom by resampling. Is that better then cropping for image qualiy ?

8. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

There are fractal based upsamplers that make it LOOK like you have not lost resolution - but you have. Big and blurry instead of big and pixellated is the only real difference.

• Like Like x 1