E-PL1 Live View is brighter than actual image

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by ckjy, Sep 29, 2011.

1. ckjy

ckjy New to Mu-43

Sep 12, 2011
    When I half-press the shutter button on the E-PL1, I notice the aperture on the lens (in this case, Lumix 20mm 1.7) opens up wider and the image displayed on live-view will brighten. At the end of the focus cycle, the aperture gets smaller and the picture darkens. I am using Aperture mode and setting the f-stop to 1.7.

This post explained the reason for this is that the f-stop used for the E-PL1 live view is 2.8. When focusing, the aperture opens up all the way before coming back to 2.8, then supposedly opens to the selected aperture size for exposure.

But, I am noticing that none of my pictures appear as bright as when the picture on the live view brightens from the aperture opening all the way. If the brighter picture on the live-view during the focus cycle is a result of the aperture temporarily opening all the way, why isn't my picture as bright as the live-view if I am setting the aperture to 1.7 for the actual exposure?
  2. Hyubie

Hyubie Unique like everyone else

Oct 15, 2010
    If it's any consolation, to my eye it's worse on the (much newer) G3. :)
  3. fin azvandi

fin azvandi Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 12, 2011
    Madison, WI
    Someone more knowledgeable will have to answer your question about live-view brightness (although is it possible it's just a matter of your LCD brightness or live-view boost setting?)

On a related topic, I didn't realize until the other day that the Lumix 20/1.7 doesn't adjust the aperture until you take the shot. Since then I have set the FN button to depth-of-field preview to see what the exposure will look like.
  4. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    LCD/EVF monitor brightness can be adjusted in the menu. Mine is set to -7 to more accurately display the image that will be saved and captured on my E-PL2, as the default LCD brightness is way too bright. If I don't do that, then all the photos that look good on the camera will come out underexposed when I open them on the computer.
  5. ckjy

ckjy New to Mu-43

Sep 12, 2011
    I noticed I can change the monitor brightness, but the change in brightness I'm seeing appears to be a direct result of the aperture opening all the way while focusing.

For instance, when looking at the monitor without pressing any buttons, the screen is at a certain brightness (call it "A") with the picture out of focus. When I half-press the shutter button to focus, the aperture opens up, and while focusing, the screen becomes much brighter (call it "B") by at least 1EV. After the focus cycle completes the aperture closes a bit and returns to brightness "A", now in focus.

When I fully press the shutter button, I get a picture with an exposure about equal in brightness to "A". It is nowhere near brightness "B" however, even though the monitor showed such a picture at one point. Changing the monitor brightness raises the brightness of both "A" and "B", but does not change the fact that I cannot actually get a picture equal in brightness to "B".

Is this normal? Is the brighter level "B" the result of the aperture opening further than at "A"? If so, why don't I get the same brightness when I take the picture? If it is not because of the aperture, why does the screen get brighter only when focusing?
  6. yottavirus

yottavirus Mu-43 Regular

Aug 13, 2011
    It shouldn't be. The aperture should stay wide open right until the actuation.

To clarify, I can confirm that it does happen on nearly every compact I've tried, but it shouldn't be because of the aperture. The aperture blades only step down in really bright sunlight.