1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

E-PL1 Lens Question

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by SVENS1, Feb 21, 2014.

1. SVENS1

SVENS1 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 11, 2013
    Canada
    Wondering if I would be better to buy the 40-150mm zoom kit lens or
    get an older Vivitar series 1 Macro 28-90mm Lens?

What's a good price to pay for the Vivitar without problems, know where there is one for a Minolta?
    I already have an MD adapter.

Thanks

2. D7k1

D7k1 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2013
    I've had the 40-150 for two years and used it on three exclusive photo trips. I have to say I have been amazed buy the performance of this little lens. I'd rate it very close to my 80-200 f2.8 Nikkor at a stop down from maximum. Cameta always has refurbs very cheap (about $120 I think now) plus it is a great macro lens when used with the MCON 01. I have just bought an EP5 and I have no doubts that this lens will shine on it. The size is also a big advantage. Its fits in a windbreaker or cargo pants pocket so you don't have to ever leave it at home.

• Like Like x 1
  3. bikerhiker

bikerhiker Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 24, 2013
    Canada
    David
    I have the 40-150mm zoom and use it with my E-PL1 and it does decent focus. It can be had for $99 on sale (which was what I paid for) and the sharpness is just amazing for the value you paid for. Sharpness is indeed on par with the past Nikkor Pro Zoom lenses, so you are definitely going to get the best bang for the buck. If you have a 58mm Marumi or a close-up Achromat lens, you can turn this lens into a long zoom macro lens to do macro bug photography or even macro abstract photography because of the reach and still get pretty sharp results. It's light too. I have the Marumi DG 330 +3 for this reason.

You do need a hood to help reduce lens flare in bright conditions or shooting macro with an external flash, so I got a JJC equivalent and it does a superb job cheaper than the Olympus one.

4. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Buy the Olympus 40-150, there isn't even a dilemma.
    Good lens for the price, good lens.

Having said that, the Vivitar will have some qualities which may suit certain photographers who love manual focus. Do you use a VF-2 or a VF-4?

5. SVENS1

SVENS1 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 11, 2013
    Canada
    Thought about the VF-2, will be the next item after the lens.

6. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    You might want both lenses. The M.ED 40-150 zoom is a wonderful light and compact lens and if you can get it for under $119, you have a good bargain.

The Vivitar Series 1 28-90 has a history as one of the great lenses from the past. Back in the 1980's, I would look at ads like this and wish I had one. Today, nah too heavy for an EPL1. But if I saw one for $25 in a resale shop in Pentax or OM, I might bring it home and try it in one of my old film cameras. I see they go from $40-60 on ebay. I don't want to pay that much to experiment.

7. AggieFAN86

AggieFAN86 New to Mu-43

Feb 24, 2014
    Go for the Olympus 40-150 regardless; its built for m43, and a cheap-decent range lens

Do check the weight of that Vivitar Lens - It does NOT help, that the EPL1 is prominently plastics-based (I just envisioned the entire front, getting yanked straight off). I have used prime/macro MDs, with little issue (front heavy). I do have a 70-210 f4, but only used on a tripod/lens support (kit just barely fits, the lens support).

8. SVENS1

SVENS1 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 11, 2013
    Canada
    Still looking at getting one, looks like current pricing used is hovering around $125-140, if places have them in stock. Ebay about the same been looking. The Canadian dollar is way down so they are ending up costing about $15 more. And many sellers won't ship to Canada or want to charge a crazy shipping amount $30-60, way over charging. Thinking about having one shipped to my parents home in the US then picking it up when I visit.

Did pick up a Makinon 80-200mm f3.5-22 Macro zoom Minolta mount for $15.00 3 weeks ago. Mint condition. Bought a Minolta M4/3 adapter with tripod mount fot $12.00.
    For kicks played around with it. It's heavy, 2 pounds worth of metal and glass. But, it does take some excellent pictures with the e-pl1, hand holding, before it feels like an anchor.
    Sure have to make sure your hand supports the weight of this beast and not let the camera support it.

While I am out scouting for an Oly lens, picked up a 28-85 F3.5-4.5 TOKINA AT-X MACRO Minolta mount for $14.00 plus a few dollars for shipping to my US address from KEH Camera.
    It will be interesting to see the condition when it arrives. I read good things about this place...........

I see at times the Oly 4/3 lens 40-150mm pops up pretty cheap, I have an adapter for the 4/3 lens to m4/3 which I use with the Oly 4/3 35mm Macro. Thought the 40-150 4/3 lens might be a good option as well, hear the focus is slow. If its not slower than the 35mm, I can live with that. Also read the larger lens produces some amazing pictures on the e-pl1. Any opinions?

9. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    Everything beats the 35mm macro when it decides to take the 5 second run thru its whole focus range.

There are two 4/3 40-150's. The one with the faster f3.5 aperture is also very slow focus. The one that starts at f4 is more optimized for CDAF and is tolerable. Don't pay too much for it though, not when the M43 is often on sale. , Here's an old youtube link showing relative focus speeds between the 4/3 and M43 zooms,

10. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    I just tried my silver m4/3rds 40-150R at 150mm and F5.6 (wide open) vs my 4/3rds 40-150MkI at 150mm and F4.5 (wide open) on my e-pL1 body
    The big lens goes choo choo chiggity chick to focus,
    focus is more reliable and very quick with the m4/3rds lens,
    contrast (this time, slanting bright sun, both with hood) was better on the m4/3rds lens (shocker!)
    Zoom is a bit further on the big old lens
    DOF-separation for closer subjects wide open is FAR greater with the big old lens : "POP!"
    (I didn't compare my MkII 4/3rds 40-150 as there isn't much point: optically I see the same as the m4/3rds lens)

11. SVENS1

SVENS1 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 11, 2013
    Canada
    Thanks will stay with the M4/3 zoom..............

12. Yojimbo

Yojimbo New to Mu-43

Mar 1, 2014
  13. SVENS1

SVENS1 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 11, 2013
    Canada
    Got lucky on a deal for what it would have cost me to buy a used VF-2 and 40-150 M4/3 kit lens, picked up those two items along with e-pl1 camera body, 14-42 kit lens, battery, charger etc. in a package deal.

14. Yojimbo

Yojimbo New to Mu-43

Mar 1, 2014
    Hello? Do you always ignore a direct question, or was it especially for me you made an exception?

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

15. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    Dunno who you were talking to, but that sure was a crappy amazon link. Very hard to see what it was all about, which is prolly why no one bothered to answer.

This amazon UK link has the right M.ED. 40-150 R zoom and while I don't know UK pricing, it seems less than what they charge for the lens w/o the bag.

16. Yojimbo

Yojimbo New to Mu-43

Mar 1, 2014
    Thank you Harry. Sorry for being so rude. Guess I was just getting a bit frustrated. It looks like the same product but as you say it's not a great link. Hardly any product info etc. Yes seems a bit odd to me that it would cost less. Which is why i want to make sure its the right one.

17. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    WIth regard to that amazon link, are they kidding when they say it takes 1-2 months to ship?

18. Yojimbo

Yojimbo New to Mu-43

Mar 1, 2014
    I know. Although that's only for the black one. The lense in silver you can have tomorrow! What annoys me more is the lack of technical detail. I wanted to get a Marumi DHG Achromat Macro Close Up 200 (+5) to put on the end but have no idea what size to get.