1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

E-PL1+Legacy Glass=HELP

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Grinch, May 17, 2011.

1. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    So I need to ask for some help...got my first adapter today for a super takumar 55mm f1.7 that i was given. I fitted the lense and put camera in manual mode and all I get when I shoot is a black screen. What am I doing wrong? Can some one please give a noobie a quick run down of shooting legacy glass with the E-PL1. I have three lenses to try out, and have been chomping at the bit since I ordered the adapters.

2. Black screen as in totally black, or black as in seriously underexposed? You don't need to be in 'M'. Any other mode will allow the camera to meter for you.

3. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    Black as in the hole left in my wallet since I took up photography. Completely black, no image at all. I was surprised that it works in full auto, but I thought manual lense, use manual. Figured this was a way for me to learn more about my cam and it's abilities.

4. If you are getting a completely black screen in normal use it is possible that the lens locking pin on the camera body is not seating properly. Check when you mount the adapter that the pin locks back into position correctly. It could be that the hole machined in your adapter for the locking pin is not quite deep enough.

5. MegaPixelTravel

MegaPixelTravel Mu-43 Regular

May 14, 2011
    Canada
    +1 to luckypenguin's comment. The main issue with adapters not working and your getting a "black screen" and can't take a picture is that pin not seating or being long enough.

6. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    Well I have checked that and it seems fine, maybe I'm just really underexposed...I've switched modes and it seems alright. Was just confused as their are no directions with adapter, and no info from Olympus as to using the competitors glass with their equipment. Either way, I'll be playing and comparing a few things and find what works best. I have two lenses that I assume are similar the super tak 55 1.7 and a Fujinon 55 1.8.

7. Kosta

Kosta Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 29, 2010
    Australia
    just don't be too quick to jump down olympus' throat; it is a third party adaptor.

I would normally use aperture (A) mode with manual lenses and set the metering to 'centre-weighted' or 'spot', using the advanced control panel (press ok, then info to access it instead of the 'smart menu')

good luck with the lens! I find manual lenses quite fun.

8. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    Just eliminating the obvious.......you do have the the lens aperture set correctly - ie not at f22?

Try setting different apertures on the lens and see if that makes a difference

K

9. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I used a lot of manual focus lenses on the same setup you have and never had this issue. Set it to A mode and manually set the aperture on the lens ans you're good to go. Keep in mind the Super Takumar has switch on the top that automatically open up the aperture to its widest. Make sure it's set to the AUTO position on lens. It wouldn't cause the blackout issue but it will set you're aperture to 1.7 for everything regardless of what you set on the lens and that will mean everything has a narrow DOF and will not be as sharp as it could be.

As far as the blackout issue...what were the settings you used in M mode?

10. Warren T.

Warren T. Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 10, 2010
    San Francisco
    Set it to "A" mode, then take a picture. Did it look okay? If so, note the settings that the camera used. (example: f2.0, 1/60). Switch the camera to "M" mode, then make sure the settings are identical to the shot taken in "A" mode (f2.0, 1/60), take the picture. Is it still black?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, it's been a long time since I handled a Super Takumar. Shouldn't the lens be set to "Manual" (stop down metering mode) for use on a Mu-43 body?

--Warren

11. MegaPixelTravel

MegaPixelTravel Mu-43 Regular

May 14, 2011
    Canada
    Some lenses have locks on the apature blades which can end up holding them open or closed no matter what the camera tells it.