E-PL1 kit lenses

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by ting, Apr 12, 2010.

1. ting

ting New to Mu-43

Apr 12, 2010
    Hi guys. Nice forum you have here :biggrin:

I'm planning to get the white E-PL1, and the shop offers two deals. I'm still undecided, so thought I'd solicit second opinions.

#1 Body + 14-42mm kit is ~620USD;
    #2 Body + 14-42mm + 40-150mm + MMF:43:adapter is ~835USD

I'm new to this, and this is my first camera, so I'd appreciate any help on this. I heard that the adapter only comes in a set and won't be sold separately. Is the 2nd kit more worth it? Also what are the chances I'd need the 40-150mm instead of the 14-42mm lens?

Does Olympus produce good lenses, or should I save the money and get better m4/3 lenses?

2. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

Greetings and welcome to the board, ting!

I can't really help you with regard to that adapter. I bought the adapter for older OM-1 lenses, separately. As for lens choices and this being your first camera, my suggestion would be to buy the camera with the lens and then after you've gotten comfortable using both then to think about what you'd like to do next. Many people like their 17mm lenses and/or end up with the Panasonic 20mm lens - both are micro four thirds lenses and work perfectly with the E-PL1.

Yes, Olympus does produce excellent lenses. You might want to read around through the different posts within the Olympus forum here, as well as the Native Lenses forum... Don't hesitate to ask questions...and if a thread already exists, then just add your question on to it.

And finally, stop by the Welcomes and Introductions forum when you have a chance, too.:biggrin:
  3. dcisive

dcisive Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 19, 2010
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Those 2 lens kit's with the adapter are a smoking deal. I'd go for that. I've owned that 40-150 kit lens before with a E-510 and I have to say it is plenty sharp across it's entire range. Super light and small as well. You won't regret it as they both do nicely.
  4. Brad Ross

Brad Ross Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 7, 2010
    Westfield, NJ
    you can buy the adaptor separately

I bought the adaptor separately without a kit. I already had the 40-150mm.
    I bought mine from J & R in NYC. It arrived within 24 hours (of course I live in NJ only 22 miles away)
  5. Olof

Olof New to Mu-43

Apr 10, 2010
    I think that lenses used through an adapter don't always have all the functionality of a true micro lens. I think it might not have auto focus, for instance. I'm not positive what the limitations are, but you may want to read up on that so you aren't disappointed.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. sebastel

sebastel Mu-43 Regular

Jan 18, 2010
    not your business
    actually, i own the adapter (although the one in lumix flavour - functionally identical) and both the 40-150mm and the 9-18mm lenses.

both work flawlessly on the E-P1.
  7. et100

et100 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 15, 2010
    Chicago area - USA
    The 40-150mm mkII lens has no limitations when used on micro-4/3 bodies. It auto-focuses ok and its very sharp IMHO and you can see a few pictures in the gallery taken with that setup. So I strongly recommend the 40-150 with adapter.

here what it looks like; if you remove the hood it looks quite smaller:

zoom in to see individual bricks being resolved:

• Like Like x 1
  8. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Welcome ting, the adapter + 40-150 kit could be a good deal... it would prepare you to add the ZD 50mm f2 macro or ZD 11-22mm f2.8-3.5 that would be a very capable kit.

9. ting

ting New to Mu-43

Apr 12, 2010
    Hey guys, thanks for your replies!

Thanks et100 for the photos! I really appreciate it, and that looks really huge.

I'm still undecided, but I'm planning to make a choice within the next 2 weeks or so. I'll let you guys know what I end up with.

Once again, thanks!
  10. et100

et100 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 15, 2010
    Chicago area - USA
  11. sheygetz

sheygetz Mu-43 Regular

May 17, 2010
    Maybe you'd want to check how much you could make on selling either one or both items. In Euroland - them with the Greek disease :biggrin: - the difference is only 120€, which is less than the price of either the adapter or the lens bought separately. Both could easily be sold for over 100€ slightly used on a forum. So you could try the longer lens and if it is not to your liking sell the lens and, say, get the (non-micro) 14-54mm to use on the adapter. But, as I said, that would depend on the going price of these items new in the shops.

12. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy

I bought the double kit with the EPL-1 and I'm very happy with it.:smile: