E-PL1 kit lens lock questions

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by trav, Apr 22, 2011.

1. trav

trav New to Mu-43

Apr 22, 2011
    Hey all.

Quick question. For the standard collapsible 14-42 kit lens, should I have to use the unlock "switch" to open/uncollapse/extend the lens?

2. KS11

KS11 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 31, 2011
    Busan/Hong Kong
    quick answer....yes you do.
  3. trav

trav New to Mu-43

Apr 22, 2011
    So if mine doesn't......something is wrong? (I can go from collapsed to extended with out touching the unlock button. I do need to use the lock button to collapse the lens.)

Just got the camera, so I would like to get it replaced if so.

4. mauve

mauve Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2010
    Paris, France
    No, you can extend the kit lens without touching the lock. What you can't do is retracting the lens once it's locked without unlocking it first.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Spuff

Spuff Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    Berkshire, UK.
    Yes indeed.
    The manual instructs you as much:
    'Turn the zoom ring in the direction of arrow (1) to
    extend the lens (2).' - and that's all it says about extending/activating the lens from a locked start, no mention of using the lock button to extend the lens.

'To store, turn the zoom ring in the direction of
    arrow (4) while sliding the UNLOCK switch (3).'
    Which is when you have to use the button, otherwise you won't be able to fully retract/collapse.

It's a bit confusing calling it the unlock switch when the user is only required to use it when locking.
  6. trav

trav New to Mu-43

Apr 22, 2011
    That is where my confusion was along with the fact that putting lens onto the body is the same rotation that extends the lens.

thanks guys
  7. shoturtle

Oct 15, 2010
    you do not have to use it to unlock, you do have to use it when locking the lens back.
  8. OPSSam

OPSSam Mu-43 Regular

Dec 18, 2010
    I think the reasoning behind it is for rapid deployment without accidentally retracting the lens until you are ready. Otherwse there would have to be another ring or switch on the lens to stow it.