1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

E-PL1 Kit Lens Issues

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by jbart, Nov 2, 2010.

1. jbart

jbart Mu-43 Regular

Jun 1, 2010
    Ottawa
    The auto-focus on my lens seems to be noisier and slower in the past couple of days. I actually thought something was wrong as it wasnt locking focus properly sometimes. I dont have any other AF lenses to try. I have tried a few FD lenses with adaptor. Could the adaptor affect the connectors? Id think then it would not work at all if it was the camera body... just thinking.

Anyone else had issues with the kit lens? Its a couple of months old, but I pretty much baby the thing. There is a lot of movement (play) in the lens segments when extended but I thought that was just normal for this lens.

Any thoughts or recommendations?

2. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

:bump: Hoping jbart can get some feedback from you all who have this lens and/or have also used adapters.

3. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason

I've had some issues in the past. Are you using any filters on it? Have you tried reseating the lens?

• Like Like x 1
  4. walt_tbay

walt_tbay Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 24, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    The only issue I've ever had with the 14-42mm lens is when I put on a UV filter. It refused to focus so I just don't use any filters on it. I use various adapters, including the FD, but have never experienced a slow down like jbart describes.

5. jbart

jbart Mu-43 Regular

Jun 1, 2010
    Ottawa
    Thanks for the suggestions. I will try re-seating the lens. Maybe its just my perception. Im going to take it to the shop and see if I can compare to a demo model and see if there is any difference. Maybe it needs a cleaning.

I dont have a filter on it. They didnt have any small ones in the store when I bought it and now...I would rather have a filter than the lens cap.

6. RetroBoy

RetroBoy Mu-43 Regular

I haven't had any issues with my 14-42.

I have a UV filter on mine and it focuses no problem. The filter makes it easier to put the cap on too as it protrudes a bit further than the lens. And having it on means you don't have to keep putting the cap on and off.

7. Boyzo

Boyzo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2010
    This is not a quiet lens by any means (energetic AF motor) extended it has play but self centers, it is NOT a robust lens and attach filters with care (on this lens I dont use one)
    You may have become preoccupied by the noise ;-) which may be normal
    Test AF on a variety of subjects AF is not perfect in low light or on very uniform color surfaces

8. shoturtle

shoturtle  

Oct 15, 2010
    are you using the larger AF box, if so you can be miss focusing. Also do you have the latest firmware on the body. There was a update that was issue back in april, ver 1.1.

With the filter. I would avoid a UV they do not let a much light through, and does impair image quality at times. But if you want to put a filter infront of the lens, tiffen makes a Haze 1 filter that does let the most light through and is available in 40.5mm. They are not to expensive, under 10 dollars. The Haze 1 also had a bit of ND property as it does warm the light a little. I use it when shooting in harsh environments like the beach with sea spray. But you need to take precautions with any filter. As shooting toward strong light sources can case flares, and in certain lighting can cause ghosting.