1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

e-pl1 IS question

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by pcake, May 19, 2012.

1. pcake

pcake Mu-43 Regular

May 3, 2010
    so i just got a new e-pl1 as a second camera. doing the same pics and using the same manual lenses as i use to test my panasonics (using no IS of any sort), i got way less sharp clear handheld pics than on my gf1 or g3, so it doesn't seem the oly stabilization is working well. the only really sharp pics i could get using the e-pl1 were using my panasonic 14-45 with IS on - those pics are tack sharp. but with the lens IS off, pics aren't sharp using any kind of IS.

is there something i don't know or should be doing on the e-pl1?

btw, the camera gets pretty warm after shooting for 15 minutes - is that normal for this camera?

2. songs2001

songs2001 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 8, 2011
    You have to set the manual focal length manually for your manual focus lenses.

My EPL1 doesn't get really hot. Maybe it's a camera issue.

3. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    What shutter speeds were you shooting at? IBIS shouldn't be used at too fast shutter speeds.

4. pcake

pcake Mu-43 Regular

May 3, 2010
    songs2001 - that's odd to me, as a previous canon and panasonic user, i'm used to just focusing with the lens. the pics looked perfectly focused on the screen.

Ned, mostly low shutter speeds - between 1/6 and 1/80th, most around 1/12 to 1/50.

5. songs2001

songs2001 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 8, 2011
    In the IBIS menu there is a setting for focal length for manual focus lenses, you have to put in the focal length, so the Olympus computer can better handle camera shake.

6. littleMT

littleMT Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 8, 2012
    Lucille Sanchez
    I have shot for hrs on end, and my E-PL1 doesn't get hot, in fact, I ordered another refurb, so now I will have 2 E-PL1's, as I wait for a mythical OMD.....

7. pcake

pcake Mu-43 Regular

May 3, 2010
    thanks for the IBIS info. i adjusted it to the focal length of the lens, and while the results aren't wonderful, there's a definite improvement. do you have to do that for the newer oly m4/3 cameras, as well?

do any of your cameras at least warm up? this one gets warm within minutes.

8. Yes, all cameras with IBIS need to have the focal length entered in manually with non-native lenses since there is otherwise no way for it to tell what lens you are using and how much movement it may need to compensate for.

9. pcake

pcake Mu-43 Regular

May 3, 2010
    that's very useful info to have. i've only owned stabilized lenses, not stabilized cameras. my husband owns a pentax dslr, but he has never used a non-native lens on it.

10. I'm not sure how Pentax or Sony have set up their IBIS systems, but I can only assume that they would also require manual input of the focal length for non-native lenses.

To answer your other question; I don't find that my E-PL1 heats up noticeably during use, but maybe someone else here may have experienced the same issue.

11. CarlB

CarlB Mu-43 Veteran

Mine doesn't get very warm either.

The other thing may be what some folks have found with some copies of E-PM1s: Use IBIS only on shots slower than 1/30 second or so. But - it could be a problem with the camera.

12. pcake

pcake Mu-43 Regular

May 3, 2010
    guess i better talk to cameta.

1/30th? there are times when i can't handhold 1/60th, so that wouldn't be as useful as i would have hoped.

thanks!

13. AMorriss

AMorriss New to Mu-43

Jul 22, 2012
    As I'm having a similar "warm camera" problem with my e-pl1, I'm wondering if you exchanged your camera for another one? And, does your new camera get warm?

I also bought my E-pl1 from Cameta, but as I'm outside the 30 day period, I'll probably need to deal with Olympus for any exchange.

14. pcake

pcake Mu-43 Regular

May 3, 2010
    cameta did exchange it for another one, but the next one had hot pixels, so they refunded me. nice folks to deal with.

15. AMorriss

AMorriss New to Mu-43

Jul 22, 2012
    Thanks for the update, pcake.