1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

E pl1 IR sensitivivaty?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by LegacyLens, May 4, 2012.

1. LegacyLens

LegacyLens Mu-43 Regular

Apr 25, 2012
    Any one shoot IR with a e pl1?

2. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    I have shot IR with the E-P1 and I don't think the EPL1 would be much different.

3. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    Any camera can do IR, you just need a filter (or spend the $ to get it permanently converted). With a filter, the e-pl1 will have shutter speeds of 1sec or more depending on the scene, so you'll need a tripod (meaning yes I have done some IR with the e-pl1 when I owned it).

4. LegacyLens

LegacyLens Mu-43 Regular

Apr 25, 2012
    Verdict = THANKS!

Thanks that's the exact answer I was looking for!

5. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Just to add... some cameras filter enough IR out that they are a PITA to use for IR photography. I'm talking longer than even 1 second exposures and IQ degrades. Google for more info. There are also services out there that will take a camera and "convert" it. Your choices are:

* replace the IR cut filter with clear filter.
    * replace the IR cut filter with a IR filter of your choice

I shoot with a Leica M8 and M9. The M8 had an issue of having too weak of an IR cut filter (big complaint from many) and the M9 corrected the issue. I found the M8 almost perfect for IR due to this "mistake". I can even handhold exposures in bright sunlight. The M9... well... practically unusable in IR photography. I don't even bring it along for IR.

If it were bright outside (its raining), I would test out the E-PL1 for you... maybe another day. Never came to mind to try it out with micro 4 3 cameras.... no idea why.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.