1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

E pl1 IR sensitivivaty?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by LegacyLens, May 4, 2012.

1. LegacyLens

LegacyLens Mu-43 Regular

Apr 25, 2012
    Any one shoot IR with a e pl1?

2. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    I have shot IR with the E-P1 and I don't think the EPL1 would be much different.

3. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    Any camera can do IR, you just need a filter (or spend the $ to get it permanently converted). With a filter, the e-pl1 will have shutter speeds of 1sec or more depending on the scene, so you'll need a tripod (meaning yes I have done some IR with the e-pl1 when I owned it).

4. LegacyLens

LegacyLens Mu-43 Regular

Apr 25, 2012
    Verdict = THANKS!

Thanks that's the exact answer I was looking for!

5. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Just to add... some cameras filter enough IR out that they are a PITA to use for IR photography. I'm talking longer than even 1 second exposures and IQ degrades. Google for more info. There are also services out there that will take a camera and "convert" it. Your choices are:

* replace the IR cut filter with clear filter.
    * replace the IR cut filter with a IR filter of your choice

I shoot with a Leica M8 and M9. The M8 had an issue of having too weak of an IR cut filter (big complaint from many) and the M9 corrected the issue. I found the M8 almost perfect for IR due to this "mistake". I can even handhold exposures in bright sunlight. The M9... well... practically unusable in IR photography. I don't even bring it along for IR.

If it were bright outside (its raining), I would test out the E-PL1 for you... maybe another day. Never came to mind to try it out with micro 4 3 cameras.... no idea why.