E-PL1 iAUTO

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by goldenlight, Apr 26, 2012.

1. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    Normally I wouldn't touch IAUTO mode with a barge pole but a while back needed some examples for a possible article. I wasn't expecting much but it was remarkably liberating and kind of fun to just concentrate on composition, press the button and let the camera do everything else. I was surprised how saturated the results were and, although I wouldn't make a habit of it, I can see how this could enhance some situations. For a fully auto mode I didn't think it did a bad job.

iAUTO_2_004_e_r_s_forum.

iAUTO_PEN_081_e_c_r_s.

iAUTO_PEN_036_e_c_r_s.

• Like Like x 7
  2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    IAuto is pretty saturated because it uses iEnhance picture mode. :) Other than that, what iAuto basically does is evaluate what it sees in the frame to pick a scene mode for you.

Very nice examples!

• Like Like x 1
  3. flipmack

flipmack Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 23, 2012
    irvine, CA
    wow. I need to start using iAuto more often. I like that look!

• Like Like x 1
  4. Farcanalman

Farcanalman  

Feb 12, 2012
    Very nice scenics indeed!

• Like Like x 1
  5. CarlB

CarlB Mu-43 Veteran

For me, the fatal flaw of iAuto is the "on-only" face finder. It thinks any old thing in the shot is a face, and focuses on that. No way to consistently center-frame focus, re-compose with that focus, then take the shot.

6. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    There's very little user control and it's not a mode I would normally use but for anyone who wants to use the Pen like a basic point and shoot compact it is an option. :smile:

7. Kelton

Kelton Mu-43 Regular

Aug 13, 2011
    San Diego, CA
    That is true... I also use iAuto when I seem to be unable to get a nice shot due to lighting or whatever... it works pretty nicely!

8. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    Here's a good exercise. Find something you want to photograph. Adjust your settings and shoot. Now before you start checking your results, tweaking, and shooting some more, flip it over to iAuto and take a shot. Compare your first effort to iAuto, just for fun.

• Like Like x 3
  9. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    For outdoor landscapes I find the following settings (with the kit lens) produce the vivid, yet realistic colors and maximum sharpness:

Aperture Priority using f5.6 or 7.1
    Natural or Vivid Picture Mode with sharpness at 0 or +1
    Gradation set to Normal (but you should experiment with Auto and High Key to suit your taste)
    Noise Filter OFF
    White Balance Auto with -1 Amber and + 1 Green white balance compensation

10. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

I absolutely love the tree shots.