E-PL1 Hot Shoe Problems

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by mambastik, Jul 26, 2011.

1. mambastik

mambastik Mu-43 Regular

Jan 19, 2011
    Hello! I've had my awesome E-PL1 for some months now and I've finally gotten around to using the hot shoe. My brother recently started acquiring some strobe equipment, starting with a Yongnuo YN460. Test fire works, but when on the hot shoe, it won't fire when shutter is pressed. One odd thing to note was that it did fire every time I slid the flash in and out of the hot shoe.

I've tried all A/P/S/M modes. While on manual mode, I tried to set shutter below flash sync speed just to make sure, but still nothing. Also played around with the flash settings of the built-in flash, but no success. Perhaps I overlooked something? Is an icon supposed to appear if an external flash is detected?

It's not just the flash, but similar behaviour while mounting a radio trigger. While sliding the trigger in and out of the hot shoe, it would fire, but will not fire while pressing the shutter.

Appreciate any help!

2. dpj

dpj Mu-43 Regular

Jul 20, 2011
    I always found my YN460, never seated properly in the hotshoe, make sure all contacts are touching. Also, the main issue with the triggers is the battery they come with, swap it out for a new one, this is the main concerne with cheaper triggers. I use the RF602's and the first thing i did was ditch the battery. Hope this helps.

3. mambastik

mambastik Mu-43 Regular

Jan 19, 2011
    Thanks for the reply. I've double checked and the contacts are touching. When the flash is mounted, I cannot change the mode, the power, nor will it test fire. I've tried the radio trigger on my other camera (Panny Lumix FZ30) and it does work, but will not trigger when on the E-PL1.

When I do mount the flash on the FZ30, an icon shows up that an external flash is detected, then will automatically adjust aperture and shutter accordingly. However on my E-PL1, nothing happens at all. I'm also able to change mode, power, and test fire the flash while it is mounted on the FZ30, but I cannot do those when on the E-PL1.

4. dpj

dpj Mu-43 Regular

Jul 20, 2011
    That's a real wierd one that has me stumped. I will play tonight with my YN560 on the E-PL1 and let you know the results, i know it's not the same flash, but hopefully it might push you in the right direction with a few tests, Daren

5. dpj

dpj Mu-43 Regular

Jul 20, 2011
    Okay, had a play earlier. Found the flash worked okay on the hotshoe, i could use the manual power and zoom adjustments okay. Then moved to a trigger and got good results. Like i say, i'm a little stumped on this one, but when i had the YN460 i had my old Canon, so, sorry to say i can't really do a good comparison for you.