1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

E-PL1: help me set up MyMode settings

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by naturecloseups, Jun 23, 2010.

1. naturecloseups

naturecloseups Mu-43 Regular

Jun 10, 2010
    Ok, this one could be complicated. I will be using the E-PL1 in primarily two ways

Mode 1. Tripod mounted and exclusively with legacy macro lenses

• No need for AF
    • Need to be able to quickly select and zoom into any part of my composition while focusing (while shooting damselflies this is usually one or more of the far corners)
    • Need to enable anti-shock (because of lack of remote release support - d'oh!)
    • Need to find creative assignments for the Fn and REC buttons
    • Single shot advance only
    • Will need flash for fill (planning to use my Metz 15 MS-1 wireless ring flash)
    • Will need to set auto preview to a very brief duration, histogram overlay will be sweet
    • Real-time shadow/highlight clipping preview will be very helpful
    • IBIS needs to be off
    • Flash sync needs to be the highest possible

Mode 2. Handheld with an m4/3 tele-zoom (such as the Lumix 45-200) and an achromatic diopter (such as Nikon 3T/Canon 500D/Olympus MCON-40/Marumi DHG Achromat 330)
    • Always use AF
    • Need to be able to quickly select AF zone but no need to zoom in
    • Need to disable anti-shock
    • Need to find creative assignments for the Fn and REC buttons suitable for the purpose
    • Need to be able to turn ON/OFF continuous shooting at a single button press
    • Will need flash for fill (planning to use my Sunpak PF20 XD flash either wirelessly or on hotshoe)
    • Will need to set auto preview to OFF
    • Real-time shadow/highlight clipping preview not needed
    • IBIS needs to be ON
    • Flash sync needs to be the highest possible

Questions: I would appreciate insights on how to assign desired settings to achieve these, especially the blue colored items.

Additional suggestions/thoughts will also be helpful.

Thanks in advance!

2. sheygetz

sheygetz Mu-43 Regular

May 17, 2010
    You are aware that MyMode will only work when and while you press the button you assigned to it? Meaning any alterations - say, exp comp - would have to be made w/ one of your fingers glued to said button. But then maybe you have grown an extra hand :cool:

It is somewhat annoying to have a feature built in, but so hard to employ it is rendered pretty useless. You might be better off using the Custom Reset options for what you have in mind.

• Like Like x 2
  3. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

I think that Custom Reset might be the way to go. I don't use it myself so am not going to go into the "how to" of it. I believe the manual is pretty good about it, and I know that those E-P2 "How To" Quick Start videos by Brian Mosely do explain it.

I'm sure you'll get some more responses as the time zones wear on.

• Like Like x 1
  4. naturecloseups

Jun 10, 2010
    That is an outrageously flawed implementation of an essential feature. I didn't know this earlier. No I haven't grown a 3rd hand (I like them in pairs though) but even if I did I wouldn't waste it for a silly cause like this. Olympus should have done better.

My erstwhile D200 had shooting menu banks. Even my 2/3" sensored superzoom S100fs has two custom settings C1 and C2 right on the mode dial. Not supporting remote release and this stupid design flaw are the two biggest let downs of the E-PL1, an otherwise lovely camera. I'd gladly give 100$ more for those two features.

Thanks BB, looks like that is the next thing I should research on. Thanks for the tip-off.

• Like Like x 1
  5. peroni

peroni New to Mu-43

Jun 17, 2010
    The custom reset is the way to go as you can record a lot more settings compared to my mode.

However Oly forgot one very important feature, the ability to rename custom reset 1 and 2 to something more meaningful, I know I'll never remember which does what.

• Like Like x 2
  6. sheygetz

sheygetz Mu-43 Regular

May 17, 2010
    Well, I didn't have the temerity to call it that, but you're absolutely right. On the other hand - no third needed here - and to be fair, I know of no entry level DSLR that offers custom modes. Other than of course Oly's own E-xxx which are, of course, similarly flawed. A D200 is obviously a different animal, but a D90 doesn't have them, nor do the Rebels. And they don't do custom resets either.

Still, the fact remains that Olympus' cameras of today are designed by engineers, and good ones, too, not photogs. Just look at their sorry excuse for a manual :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
  7. naturecloseups

Jun 10, 2010
    Looks like the Custom Reset functions are what I can use, sadly -- they cannot be assigned to a single button press but I think I can live with it.

Thanks for all the inputs. I'll post a summary of what settings I ultimately chose in a followup thread later -- just in case if it might help others.

8. naturecloseups

Jun 10, 2010
    As promised -- now that I have been in a couple outdoor shoots, I have kind of figured out how best to maintain sets of custom settings.

Thanks to BBW and sheygetz for pointing me to the right direction. The "Custom reset" function is what I am using for my purpose. It operates essentially in the same manner as most other cameras albeit needs a couple extra clicks.

As I get more familiar with the controls I find myself more comfortable and operating with more speed. The custom reset function menu items are named counter-intuitively and I have sometimes selected SET (thereby erasing what was stored) while I should have chosen RESET. With continued usage, such bloopers are getting less and less frequent though.

However, looking at the sheer quality and astounding details in the raw files, I am more than ready to forgive and forget the minor niggles. I'm quite happy with the E-PL1.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    I'm sorry I missed this thread the first time... glad you're finding your way around the menus. Just to summarise - to use the Custom Reset function to store & retrieve your two profiles above :

You have two 'memory sets' accessed by the Custom Reset function.

Set your E-PL1 to all your first settings above... then :

to save everything in custom reset slot 1 :

Cam menu 1->CUSTOM RESET->RESET1->SET->OK

Then, whatever you do in the field to vary any of your configuration, you can go to this 'home' setup rapidly by the following :

To restore all settings saved in custom reset slot 1 :

Cam menu 1->CUSTOM RESET->RESET1->OK

Set your E-PL1 to all your second settings above... then repeat using RESET2 memory slot.

Hope that helps!

Cheers

Brian

• Like Like x 2