E-PL1 has great build in bounce flash

vietcam

Mu-43 Regular
I was suprised by how effective the build in flash was when bouncing off the ceiling. Of course it's not as strong as my FL-36, but it's so convinient when I just want a quick shot of my kids . What you need to do is to bump up the power on the build in flash by +0.7 and then pull the flash back all the way. Here is a picture of my wife and kids using the build in bounce flash. The only light that was available was from the kitchen behind them. If I take the picture without flash, their faces will be very dark. Notice there is no flash reflection on my wife's glasses. Got to love the little bounce flash.
4430862841.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

This one is for fun. No flash used
4431631644.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I wonder what happened to all my other pictures that I uploaded before. They all deleted.

BBW

Super Moderator Emeritus
vietcam, thanks so much for posting these great snapshots of your family... The family that uses their laptop together, stays together!:biggrin: And this close up of your toddler is a truly touching portrait. Its these sorts of photos that ultimately mean the most to us.

It seems to me that E-PL1 has got some good stuff going for it. I have to admit that I miss having an onboard flash for this very reason. Just last night I thought...I should go dig out that flash....or that I should use my Canon p&s for these sorts of shots. This is my own, personal concern...that I am missing these sorts of records of life that will mean a heck of a lot more to me than my more "artsy" shots. I may have to order one of these cameras to see if I can switch to it....or I could have two :43: cameras...but then I'd feel like a consumer!:redface:

So again thanks for this - it's really helpful to hear from individual owners. At some point, perhaps you can add your overall impressions of the camera up in the Review section. The tab is on the upper right of the board here: https://www.mu-43.com/reviews/

P.S. I see you feel you lost some uploads... "I wonder what happened to all my other pictures that I uploaded before. They all deleted." Perhaps the site couldn't process them all at once? If you continue to have some issues, please check out the Housekeeping forum...the bottom two stickies explain embedding photos, using the galleries, etc. And, you can always as for some specific help if things don't straighten out.

squeegee

Mu-43 Veteran
hey just a quick question... are you saying the pl1's flash can rotate vertically and become a bounce flash automatically? or are you say you put a reflector on it or something? (I'm in the land of p1 so I have no clue.)

Brian Mosley

Administrator Emeritus
hey just a quick question... are you saying the pl1's flash can rotate vertically and become a bounce flash automatically? or are you say you put a reflector on it or something? (I'm in the land of p1 so I have no clue.)

It can tilt from front facing upwards to vertical yes - very easy to do this with your finger.

Cheers

Brian

bashar

Mu-43 Regular
WHAT!!! other manufacturers charge no less than $400 for the ability to tilt the flash upwards, are you saying this camera does that from the factory?! this is revolutionary, can I see a picture of the E-pl1 with the flash tilted upwards?!

Cosimo Matteini

Mu-43 Rookie
Thanks for posting this, I didn't realise you could just pull the flash backward like this. It's fantastic, you can direct it how you want with the finger. I'm impressed, every day more and more.

flipGTO

Mu-43 Regular
WHAT!!! other manufacturers charge no less than $400 for the ability to tilt the flash upwards, are you saying this camera does that from the factory?! this is revolutionary, can I see a picture of the E-pl1 with the flash tilted upwards?!

The Panasonic L1 had a 2 position in-camera flash. That was Panasonic's first dslr many years ago, but they haven't implemented that technology since then. I'm still wondering why no one else has made one like it.

bashar

Mu-43 Regular
FlipGTO, its very easy to make a DSLR flash tilt upwards, but most manufacturers are too greedy, they will force you to put a heavy monster over your already bulky camera bulldozer to justify the money! Nikon SB400 is $400 alone....

Lambretta

New to Mu-43
Good flash with available light, but what about shooting in total darkness without having an AF help light ?!?!?

BBW

Super Moderator Emeritus
Welcome to the board, Lambretta! I have to tell you that I've never tried (in all of two days) the E-PL1 in total darkness so I really can't comment.

I'm taking it that you have one and have been frustrated with this? Perhaps you need to use one of the larger add on units?

dcisive

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Lee
I picked up a SB-400 the other day for my D5000. That little bugger such kicks a$$. Nice and small and low profile. It cost me $119 USD so very reasonable indeed. I will also try it on the Oly PL1 when I get it Monday night. I'm curious how it will do considering it is not a Oly flash. It is what the little Oly SHOULD have been with a bounce feature.:mad:

Lambretta

New to Mu-43
I use a Metz on my E-P1 and yes - as you considered it - I'm frustrated with the missing AF help light and the fact that focussing in dark conditions is a challenge with the PEN. The more you use it, you'll find out.

Latest threads

Top Bottom