E-PL1 for family photography

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by vonbonds, Dec 27, 2010.

1. vonbonds

vonbonds Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 25, 2010
    Landenberg, PA
    Hi all,

I am a current 4/3's user and very happy with my system (E-510, 14-54, 50-200, FL-50R). I mainly take pictures of my family indoors with the main focus on my 2 1/2 year old boy. I am sold on the image quality and know the E-PL1 will take higher quality pictures than my E-510 but I am worried a bit about focus speed as I hear m4/3 is slower than 4/3 bodies due to the different focusing systems. I know I am asking a subjective question but how do you all think it will fair chasing around an active little boy? I would be getting the E-PL1 with m14-42 lens and work on firing my FL-50R remotely with the built in flash.

The main reason I am thinking of m4/3 is size, cost and future. I find myself not carrying my gear as much as I might if it were smaller (I am not willing to get a P&S as IQ means a lot to me). The E-5 just costs too much for me since I am a hobbyist and other than the E-5 it seems Olympus and obviously Panasonic are focusing more on m4/3 and with their head start they will probably be the leader in this space for quite a while.

Thanks for your responses in advance :).

• Like Like x 1
  2. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    The Oly bodies are slower than the Panasonics and especially the Oly kit lens is horribly slow.

My suggestion would be go to a store and try an EPL1 with a couple different lenses. The ideal situation would be to compare to a GF1 at the same time, but I found it VERY difficult to find a shop that had both in a "tryable" state.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Fiddler

Fiddler Mu-43 Veteran

I think it's doable, but you'll miss some shots. The Oly's are noticeably faster when using primes compared to zooms, so if do buy a prime at some point, that will help. It has to be said that the Panys are faster, but each have their own strengths and weaknesses.

All the best,