1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

E-PL1 Flashing twice

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Graham_of_Rainham, Dec 6, 2010.

1. Graham_of_Rainham

Graham_of_Rainham Mu-43 Regular

Feb 16, 2010
    Hi guys,

Anyone know why the E-PL1 flashes twice when set on 2nd curtain ?

I've not figured out how to stop it doing this.

The first flash is not recorded, so I'm getting 2nd curtain flash images ok, it's just I don't know why it's doing it... :confused:

Thanks

2. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

Not certain but it may be setting ther exposure with the first flash.

3. Graham_of_Rainham

Feb 16, 2010
    That was my thought as well, so I switched to Manual Mode and have tried all sorts of settings, switching them on and off and nothing (I've tried) stops the first flash.

The big problem is that it fires off the slave flashs that are set up to capture the end of the movement.

4. tam

tam Mu-43 Regular

Apr 12, 2010
    It'll be metering. My G1 and many compacts do this too.

Do you have an option to set it for remote use? Failing that, radio triggers are your friend.

I've just got a set of CTR-301P transmitter + 2 receivers for £18 off ebay, ace.

5. minh0204

minh0204 Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 17, 2010
    I'd be more worried it it doesn't!

2nd curtain means you might have a rather long shutter speed. The 1st sequence is the metering flash, and the 2nd one right before the shutter closes is the real flash that contributes towards your exposure. Because of long shutter speed you can tell them apart.

6. Graham_of_Rainham

Feb 16, 2010
    Thanks all.

My solution is to use an Olympus T20 to trigger the FL-50Rs in Slave Auto Mode.

The Pre-Flash was triggering the FL-50Rs which then didn't have time to fully recycle, producing under exposed images.

Now it all works as it should.

My old C8080 has a "slave" setting that enables me to do this... Why do manufacturers drop really good features such as this :confused:

7. Grant

Grant Mu-43 Veteran

Not sure if this is too obvious but if you have red eye reduction on it will pre flash even if you have the flash set for second curtain.

8. Graham_of_Rainham

Feb 16, 2010
    How can you have "Red Eye Reduction" on with 2nd curtain. I thought it was one thing or the other. If so how do I turn it off :confused:

Thanks