E-PL1 & FL36R AF illuminator help

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by trinptx, Jul 20, 2011.

1. trinptx

trinptx Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 4, 2011
    How does the AF Illuminator on FL36R work with E-PL1?

Just received a FL36R today. Have not been able to figure out how to get AF Illuminator on FL36R to work. I have AF Illuminator turned on in FL36R custom setup, but it isn't illuminating. Do i need to perform some kind of setup in E-PL1 menu.

2. thearne3

thearne3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2010
    Redding, CT USA
    Sorry to be the bearer of bad news...the AF illuminator does not work for any Pen 1/2 camera - only the 4/3 cams. Rumor has it that they may work with the new Pens, but I'm not holding my breath. :frown:
  3. trinptx

trinptx Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 4, 2011
    Thanks for your timely response. Hate to hear that, but already reasoned it wouldn't work. This E-PL1 is my first digital interchangeable lensed camera and I purchased it for under water photo use (have two uw strobes and camera housing). Have my sights set on an E-P3 for land based use, so I hope the E-P3 will control FL36R IR illuminator. Just now really starting to get into using different lens and settings.
  4. ckrueger

ckrueger Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 16, 2011
    I put my FL-36R on my EP3 just now and I couldn't get the AF assist lamp to light. I THINK I have the flash set to use the AF assist lamp; the setting was on when I used it with my E-410 last and I haven't changed any settings since, but the light would not illuminate for me. I even tried turning the EP3's "AF illumination" setting on, but only the body's AF assist light turned on, not the flash's light.

The good news is, the EP3 is more capable in low light than any Four Thirds body I've used!