E-PL1 Firmware Upgrade Error

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by VasManI, Jan 29, 2011.

1. VasManI

VasManI Mu-43 Regular

Jan 21, 2011
    I have an Olympus E-PL1 (firmware 1.1) with a Panasonic 14-140mm lens (H-VS014140) that I'm trying to upgrade from 1.1 to 1.4. Unfortunately every time I try it to upgrade it I get the following error:

Failed to communicate with the camera. (0x80044037)

This error pops up after I confirm the firmware upgrade, so it's obviously communicating with the camera, at least initially.

I have tried it now on two different Windows systems, with two different USB cables, with same results. Last year I've upgraded the camera's firmware from 1.0 to 1.1, as well as couple other lenses, but for some reason I am having issues now. If anybody could shed some light on what's going on, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you,

Vas

2. shoturtle

shoturtle  

Oct 15, 2010
  3. linkedit

linkedit Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 6, 2010
    New Jersey, USA
    Are you trying to update the camera, or the lens?

4. VasManI

VasManI Mu-43 Regular

Jan 21, 2011
    I am using the standalone updater (same as link you've provided).

5. shoturtle

shoturtle  

Oct 15, 2010
    very strange. I would call Oly or panny.

6. VasManI

VasManI Mu-43 Regular

Jan 21, 2011
    The Panasonic lens. Camera is already updated with the latest firmware.

7. VasManI

VasManI Mu-43 Regular

Jan 21, 2011
    Quick question. Anybody using the Olympus Updater on 64-bit Windows 7? If so, do you use any special settings?

Thank you.

8. davidoriordan

davidoriordan New to Mu-43

Nov 4, 2010
    Hi everyone,

I have been searching for a while to see if anyone else was having the same problem. My E-pl1 will not update when the Panasonic 14-140mm is attached either. I thought it was a problem with the USB but having tried three different ones, I'm sure it is not the case. I get the same 'failed to connect to the camera' warning as the OP and am getting quite annoyed now! Does anyone else know of the issue and whether or not an update (!) to the updater is in the pipeline?

Thanks in advance, just got the lens and it's currently on firmware 1.0 and I hear 1.4 encompasses a few important improvements.

David

9. OPSSam

OPSSam Mu-43 Regular

Dec 18, 2010
    NC
    I have had issues on my iMac similar to what you are experiencing (except the standalone updater crashes out completely). Right now my solution is to perform the firmware update on one of my older computers. If you have access to an older computer, that may be your best bet. If you are getting this reaction with an Olympus lens attached also, you may have a problem you may want to take up with their tech support.

10. VasManI

VasManI Mu-43 Regular

Jan 21, 2011
    So after obtaining another Olympus body to test the upgrade on, I'm getting "Failed to communicate with the server. (0x80041022)" error!!! I am about ready to sell my Olympus bodies and switch over to Panasonic, just because I wouldn't have to deal with their lousy firmware upgrade process!!! What pinhead at Olympus thought of an "online" firmware upgrade anyway?! :mad: Of course, I could have a cow just thinking about it, but then letting it go and waiting until tomorrow (when they hopefully fixed their servers) is so much easier. :biggrin:

Off to other projects... :2thumbs:

11. shoturtle

shoturtle  

Oct 15, 2010
    call oly in the morning.

12. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    I've recently upgraded both my Olympus camera and Panny lenses on an EP-2, using the updater on Win 7 64 bit. No problems at all. Try uninstalling the camera in Windows and reinstall the drivers. Also a different USB port and/or cable if you have access to another one.

Be patient. Your camera still works just fine. Firmware updates are nice, but not always the revolutionary changes you read about on forums. You could be stuck with an HP and get no updates at all, ever. Actually even Canon and Nikon never offer firmware updates for lenses. I'd kill for one of those for my 50mm 1.2 canon lens.

Gordon

13. VasManI

VasManI Mu-43 Regular

Jan 21, 2011
    I've been meaning to add this, but keep forgetting. Another error that occurs with the above mentioned symptoms is:

Failed to communicate with the camera. (0x80070005)

Thank you for the suggestion, however I am very close to being done with Olympus. The more I think about it, the more I dislike the whole online upgrade process, to the point of just not wanting Olympus gear anymore. I was never impressed with Olympus lenses with the exception of one, and switched to Panasonic lenses instead. To add to my Olympus discontent, I only have one Windows system (64-bit Windows 7 Home Premium) and Linux on everything else, and hate to be "stuck" with products from a company that refuses to move forward. I don't mean for this to be a rant and I'm not upset, I'm just one of those people that gets fed up to a point, and then quietly moves on.

14. shoturtle

shoturtle  

Oct 15, 2010
    Honestly, When I ran into the problem. I just called oly the next day, and they helped me work it out. I knew I did not know the workings of their software. So I did not waste to much time a fuss on the issue. The oly techs got the problem resolve for me pretty quickly. Saved me a bunch of grief and frustration. Not worth a week times to try to figure it out myself.

There is most likely a setting issue with window 7 and the oly software. And they most likely know the fix. I know that both IB and Master 2 will update both the body and lens on a windows machine. But the Oly people will know how to get the problem resolved.

You might be firewallling the sever access.

15. shoturtle

shoturtle  

Oct 15, 2010
  16. VasManI

VasManI Mu-43 Regular

Jan 21, 2011
    No firewall. I just switched a hard drive in another computer (back to XP), switched to a router that has been up and running without issues forever, and same error pops up. That's two computers now, on separate networks, not working! Same configuration that has gotten past "connecting to the server" many times over the past week. This is a chronic Olympus issue (search Google for "Olympus server error firmware") and just another reason not to buy an Olympus product, if you ever want to upgrade m43 firmware:

Yes, I have the December 2010 version on both computers.

Firmware upgrades was one reason why I chose m43 and faster autofocus (AF) updates in particular, are revolutionary.

I'll wait couple of days for the Olympus gods to figure out their system is messed up and get it up and running again.

17. shoturtle

shoturtle  

Oct 15, 2010
    I have not had any problems once I use the sole updaters. I recently updated couple lens in dec. And it was clik and done. But I am a mac user. Seems to work well with mac.

18. VasManI

VasManI Mu-43 Regular

Jan 21, 2011
    Quick update - Olympus servers are back up online!

19. VasManI

VasManI Mu-43 Regular

Jan 21, 2011
    Short time ago I have upgraded an Olympus E-P1 from 1.1 to 1.4, which confirmed that upgrade process works with my existing computers (upgrade occurred on a Windows 7 64-bit system), USB cables, Internet connection, AND when Olympus decides their servers "should" be are up and running.

It also confirmed that the Panasonic 14-140mm lens CANNOT be upgraded on an Olympus body (E-PL1 and E-P1), unless me and davidoriordan have three bad Olympus bodies, or two bad Panasonic lens. Over the next couple of weeks I'll obtain a Panasonic body and will attempt a normal (non-online) firmware upgrade.

Vas

20. VasManI

VasManI Mu-43 Regular

Jan 21, 2011
    David,

I presume this is your thread on Flickr.com, correct?

Flickr: Discussing Problem with E-PL1 firmware update in Olympus Users

Vas