E-PL1 firmware update.

The Happy Nomad

Hakuna matata
My newly bought but ageing used E-PL1 still has the firmware version 1.0

I see from Olympus Workspace that version 1.1 was the latest version and last version released. Further that this is needed for the electronic viewfinder.

My question is does this firmware update bring any other benefits?

I dont use the EVF so if there are no other benefiits I will leave it as it is, as in if it aint broke dont try and fix it.

Thanks all.

pdk42

One of the "Eh?" team
In addition to using the Olympus Camera Updater (which pulls the firmware from a server and uses the USB cable to push it to the camera), you can also download the firmware "BIN" file directly and flash the camera from an SD card. The latter is probably safer, but OTOH, you need to use a third-party web-site to get the files, so you need to balance risks. Personally I've always used the official Olympus method, but I know many others prefer the more direct route:

https://lightsnowdev.com/Olympus/update.html

Ghostbuggy

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Phill
Sometimes Olympus "hides" some fixes or improvements under some minor or unimportant fixes. I remember the 2.0 firmware for the Pen-F had issues with the camera locking up randomly, they quickly released update 2.1 which officially fixed something rather unimportant, however in reality it completely fixed the stability issues introduced with 2.0

HarryS

Mu-43 All-Pro
I recall the EPL1 FW update was quite scary on my old HP laptop, because it took almost half an hour and I really wanted to pull the plug, even though I knew it would brick the camera.

Turned out I was using a laptop in a spot in my home where my WIfi was spotty, so it spent most of that time trying to get the firmware file from Olympus. The actual burn process was just a few minutes. I know do these with my desktop on a LAN, and it's just a few minutes on my newer Oly gear.

So make sure your PC has adequate power, as well as the camers.

Latest threads

Top Bottom