E-PL1 Experience Diary

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Brian Mosley, Mar 19, 2010.

1. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Hello everyone,

I have an E-PL1 for Olympus Photo Safari Group events here in the UK... we'll be arranging some get togethers soon (see my signature for UKPSG membership) where you can get some hands on experience and free tuition - but in the meantime, I'll post some impressions in this thread, and try to answer any questions you may have... just fire away :smile:

First off, the shape and grip of the E-PL1 makes it a little more suited to carrying larger lenses than the E-P1/2:

I will be producing some brief videos on setting up the E-PL1 for optimum use... the one touch zoom button is a big step forward for easy manual focus assist, and you can assign CDAF to the Fn button to the left of the zoom button.

Cheers

Brian

• Like Like x 3
  2. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

Great Brian, I'm really looking forward to learning more. Many thanks for taking the initiative.

3. Brian Mosley

Dec 15, 2009
    I'll just post points at random - to trigger any questions.

The red dot button on the rear of the camera can be configured as one-touch white balance. This is the first time the function has been available on a dedicated button I think. Good move imho.

Cheers

Brian

• Like Like x 1
  4. Brian Mosley

Dec 15, 2009
    Very nice new feature - you can display shadow / highlight clipping warning in live view... so it's very easy to see whether you'll have blown highlights / clipped shadows before taking the exposure.

This isn't available yet on the E-P1/2... I do hope it will be added in due course via firmware.

Cheers

Brian

5. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Brian,
    Could you explain adjusting the shutter and fstop?

6. Brian Mosley

Dec 15, 2009
    So easy Don, just press up arrow to unlock, and then up/down to adjust the primary parameter (Aperture in A mode, Shutter speed in S mode)... and left/right to adjust EV compensation.

In Manual exposure mode up/down for aperture, left/right for shutter speed.

Hold the button for 0.5 sec and it goes to auto repeat... nice fast scrolling through the values.

269E1478D29D4F82807958D2EE60F48E.

Cheers

Brian

7. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    My wife is falling for the camera.
    She now dislikes the G1, so it's a gonner.
    I just want to make sure I can use it as a backup.
    Still wanting a Pen2.
    We'll see. Looking very forward to your vids.

8. Brian Mosley

Dec 15, 2009
    It would make a fantastic backup to the E-P2 Don, just one EVF required.

Cheers

Brian

9. Brian Mosley

Dec 15, 2009
    The E-PL1 articulated flash can be angled all the way through to vertical like this :

Cheers

Brian

10. BBW

Brian, how do you feel about the tracking of a moving subject - for a still photograph?

11. Brian Mosley

Dec 15, 2009
    Hi BB, the selection of focus patch for continuous auto focus tracking is easier using the MF assist green box... but the tracking performance is pretty much identical to that of the E-P2.

Cheers

Brian

12. BBW

Thanks Brian. I'm embarrassed to say that I've never tried it on my camera. While watching a few promotional videos of the E-PL1, I did think it looked quite easy with that screen. Nice plus.

13. Brian Mosley

Dec 15, 2009
    Whoops, just realised... If you cycle through to the MF assist zoom view on the E-P2, you can move the green box anywhere and the CDAF will focus on the green box - wherever you have it located.

The difference is, the green box on the E-PL1 can go smaller - to 14x magnification.

Cheers

Brian

14. Brian Mosley

Dec 15, 2009
    Today, I took the E-PL1 out to try some street shooting... I discovered that holding the camera in my left hand, with the wrist strap to keep it secure... I could shoot one handed with the camera like this :

I had the LCD switched off (using the red dot button configured to switch LCD on/off), sleep timer disabled, lens reset switched off and CDAF switched to the function button (to left of magnify button).

I set the aperture to f3.5 on the 20mm f1.7 - to give maximum sharpness, a reasonable depth of field while allowing me to shoot at ISO 200... and pre-focused at the distance I expected my subject to be.

Basically, you can learn how to literally point and shoot in this mode... the camera just sits in your hand and you can shoot by mentally framing from the palm of your hand. Just takes practice that's all.

E-PL1 + 20mm f1.7
    1/60s f/3.5 at 20.0mm iso200

E-PL1 + 20mm f1.7
    1/320s f/3.5 at 20.0mm iso200

Cheers

Brian

• Like Like x 4
  15. Boyzo

Boyzo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2010
    Cool combo that 14-150 Pana Leica / E-PL1

I thought the 14-150 too heavy for the Pens series or even the G1, seems sweet with the E-PL1 .... Brian an awsome lens some lust over.

mmm $1500 ex Japan to Aus ;-)

That E-PL1 looks to be another Oly gem and the one hand trick is clever ;-)

Have fun Brian and enjoy, be sure to post pics ;-)

Cheers

16. Brian Mosley

Dec 15, 2009
    Thanks Boyzo,

the only major irritation I have with the E-PL1 is the lack of electronic levels... seriously, I've come to rely on these for my landcape shooting with the E-P1/2 and not having them on the E-PL1 is driving me nuts.

There's no reason why Olympus couldn't adjust the E-P1/2 user interface in line with the improvements made for the E-PL1... the one-touch magnify could be moved to the Fn button for instance.

Cheers

Brian

17. JohnD

JohnD New to Mu-43

Mar 22, 2010
    Kansas, USA
    New E-PL1 User

Hi Brian,
    Just joined the Forums after picking up E-PL1 this weekend. You have a great Forum here. So far I love the camera and was able to try out the EVF at the store. Wow is all I can say. It will be my next purchase. I have found the included manual a little confusing or difficult to follow at times. Do you know of any good tutorials related to setting up the My Mode functions?

18. BBW

JohnD, here's a quick welcome to mu43.com and congratulations!

You've posted your question in just the right place, too, and to right person.:biggrin:

19. Graham_of_Rainham

Graham_of_Rainham Mu-43 Regular

Feb 16, 2010
    Brian,

You have really sold me on the E-PL1 / 20mm f/1.7 combination. :cool:

I do hope I'll be able to get to the next UKPSG event, as I feel that once I get a hands on (you may want to take something from me as collateral :biggrin:) that this will be my next purchase.

Can send me a "Heads up" on any future meetings

Thanks

• Like Like x 1
  20. thearne3

thearne3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2010
    Redding, CT USA
    Brian,

Any thoughts on E-PL1 vs EP-1? I have deferred trading my E-P1 so far (hoping for built-in EVF in next generation), but your comments on the E-PL1 seem to imply it's better in many respects than the E-P1 (except maybe the Levels feature). I find the built-in flash (and remote trigger possibilities with FL-36) attractive - and of course the EVF option. Doesn't sound like the lack of a second dial is bothering you so far...